• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leman Trade Rifle—what cartridge?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoryWriter85

32 Cal
Reaction score
I’m trying to find what sort of ammunition was used for Leman Trade rifles. Was it ONLY round balls, or did they also shoot conical bullets? And would they typically be paper wrapped, or was this more common for soldiers in war than on the frontier?

I’m brand new to muzzleloading, so bear with me if these questions seem silly or obvious. I don’t know much about these guns (yet).

Hey! :)

It would’ve been almost exclusively roundballs. The ammunition would have been loose powder carried in a powder horn or metal flask, cast lead round balls, and patching material of some sort (usually cloth). Patches could have been pre-cut or cut at the muzzle.

As trade guns, these were meant to go to natives or whites of lesser means or those in need of a simple inexpensive gun. These weren’t standardized military weapons, so the method in which they were loaded and the accouterments carried for them could vary widely between users, but the above would have been true for most.

Hope this helps!!

-Smokey

Hey! :)

It would’ve been almost exclusively roundballs. The ammunition would have been loose powder carried in a powder horn or metal flask, cast lead round balls, and patching material of some sort (usually cloth). Patches could have been pre-cut or cut at the muzzle.

As trade guns, these were meant to go to natives or whites of lesser means or those in need of a simple inexpensive gun. These weren’t standardized military weapons, so the method in which they were loaded and the accouterments carried for them could vary widely between users, but the above would have been true for most.

Hope this helps!!

-Smokey
That helps a lot, thank you!

Is this Leman Trade Rifle a flint lock or percussion lock rifle?

@StoryWriter85, in the time period when the Leman Trade Rifle was being used, the load would have been the charge of loose powder and a patched round ball. For our modern use, we will still use loose (measured by a volume measure) black powder, and a 100% cotton cloth wrapped lead ball. I will only recommend that you use real black powder, such as GOEX, Schuetzen, WANO or Swiss. The substitute powders such as Pyrodex have a high ignition temperature and are not suitable for use in a flint lock firearm.

In the era of the muzzle loading firearm, cartridges were a paper tube willed with loose powder and a round lead ball. The paper provided the patching, and cartridges were almost always an exclusive item used by the military for smooth bored muskets. You will be best served as you start out by using the loose powder and a lubricated patch wrapped around a soft round lead ball.

Is this Leman Trade Rifle a flint lock or percussion lock rifle?

@StoryWriter85, in the time period when the Leman Trade Rifle was being used, the load would have been the charge of loose powder and a patched round ball. For our modern use, we will still use loose (measured by a volume measure) black powder, and a 100% cotton cloth wrapped lead ball. I will only recommend that you use real black powder, such as GOEX, Schuetzen, WANO or Swiss. The substitute powders such as Pyrodex have a high ignition temperature and are not suitable for use in a flint lock firearm.

In the era of the muzzle loading firearm, cartridges were a paper tube willed with loose powder and a round lead ball. The paper provided the patching, and cartridges were almost always an exclusive item used by the military for smooth bored muskets. You will be best served as you start out by using the loose powder and a lubricated patch wrapped around a soft round lead ball.
This would be for percussion. So in a non-military scenario where one is simply carrying it for food or protection in the wilderness, loose powder and a cloth-wrapped ball would be used?

@StoryWriter85, the Trade Rifles were used for hunting primarily and protection. Very seldom would a Trade Rifle have been used by a military unit. Military units and militias were most often issued a military bored musket or required a military bored musket.

We can get into long and very technical discussions about how trade guns were loaded, but for now as you learn, loose powder and a patched round ball is the recommended load.

I'm not sure of the availability of real black powder where you are, but Pyrodex can be used as a substitute for real black powder. Try to find the magnum percussion caps and a nipple designed for better compatibility with the higher ignition temperatures of the substitute powders.

@StoryWriter85, the Trade Rifles were used for hunting primarily and protection. Very seldom would a Trade Rifle have been used by a military unit. Military units and militias were most often issued a military bored musket or required a military bored musket.

We can get into long and very technical discussions about how trade guns were loaded, but for now as you learn, loose powder and a patched round ball is the recommended load.

I'm not sure of the availability of real black powder where you are, but Pyrodex can be used as a substitute for real black powder. Try to find the magnum percussion caps and a nipple designed for better compatibility with the higher ignition temperatures of the substitute powders.
That’s very helpful, thank you

Latest posts

Back