• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Length of pull questions concerning Hawkens.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyRoundup

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy all,

I'm researching Hawkens, as I'm going to get a .50 cal soon.

I've got a ton of questions, but I figure I'll start with what I think is most important,,,, fit . To at least get me going in the right direction towards brands.

I have a short length of pull,,,, 13 1/4 to maybe 13 1/2,,,,, but 14" is sort of a stretch.
I've modified flat recoil pads on high power rifles and shotguns in the past, but I don't think it would be that easy on a crescent style butt plate.

I recently handled a Traditions Kentucky, at 14" and it was a stretch for me , and I did have it it the crook of my arm, between my bicep and shoulder.

I'm not finding very much info on length of pull from the various Companies

Do any of you have, or know of, a brand that's currently producing Hawkens with this short of a length of pull in .50 ?

Thanks for reading, and all comments are appreciated.
Dusty

When you say "Hawkens" are you referring to recent/current factory offerings (T/C,CVA,Traditions,Perdersoli,Ardesa) with the name Hawken attached to the model?
Are you looking at new or used? Bargain shopping?

your best bet is to go to a gun shop and check the variuos makers. if none a range used by tradional shooters.

if it doesn't absolutely hafta be a "Hawken" with curved butt-plate, the Renegades have about 13 & 1/4 to 13 & 1/2 inch length of pull. and for an economical mass produced gun you won't find one much better.

Thanks Bubba,
I checked them out, but I think I'm leaning towards the GPR now. Even with the LOP.

A client showed me his wife's .54 GPR yesterday, and he showed me how he pulls the front trigger, and it seemed to fit and work well for me.
We made plans for my Gal and I to come over and have a day shootin his muzzleloaders so I can get a feel of that .54, which he says will be good for elk with a rb, at closer ranges.
He also said I could find someone to shorten the stock in the future if I was uncomfortable with the length of pull, after shooting it quite a bit.

Appreciate all the help,
Dusty

An interesting thing and something to keep in mind is many of the replica traditional rifles have a different drop at the wrist and comb then the modern rifles we grew up with.
Point is, a tape measurement of the LOP seldom means the fit will be like that of a modern rifle.

Thanks for responding Necchi and Bill,

My client that showed me the GPR, looked at how I held the rifle up, he noticed I don't hold well with my palms, and the reason for that is my wrists don't rotate like normal, the two bones in my arm are fused and I have almost no rotation.
My whole life with shotguns and rifles, I've adapted to it and I do fine.
Anyhow, I do have a good finger tip on the rear set trigger, but my finger tip doesn't bend ? Or fully cover the front.
He said he doesn't use a full finger tip on his front triggers, he said he touches it, sorta puts side pressure on it, then pulls,,,,,and he's set his fronts pretty light.
So I'm thinking I'll be ok.

Is that how you all pull your fronts? Or do you place your full tip around the front of the front trigger ?

Thanks again ,
Dusty

Your friend is right, double/set triggers can be used differently then single and modern gun triggers.
I say "can" because your question about finger placement has been discussed here and other shooting forums a lot. The entire "Trigger Control" issue can be hotly debated and it boils down to personal preference and experience.

Like your friend I prefer my front trigger set to break with a very light pull,, but there is a safety factor.
All models with a factory double Trigger,, You can adjust that screw so far down that the front trigger won't engage and/or have it set so light that even a small bump to the rifle will cause the hammer to fall.
No, I don't stick my finger all the way into the trigger guard. I rest it alongside the trigger only when I'm ready to shoot.

Obviously your situation is different than mine. Sounds like you do actually need a stock that fits you. Not impossible. But probably difficult with stock factory made guns.

I used to have a TC Hawken. I liked it very well, but always suffered with the LOP, it was a bit too long for me. Thankful for the set triggers.

some deviate stole it, along with a few other guns.

Now I own a GPR and think the LOP is just right, if any of that helps.

The Gunworks Muzzleloading Emporium has LOP listed on all of their used guns if you want to check out their site. They have quite a few Lyman's listed there, among several other brands.

they also monopolize the available space for muzzleloaders on armslist 'til ya have to search about 50 pages to find anything an individual has listed.

It ain't quite all that simple. The butt stock tapers from the butt to the wrist both in height and, in many cases, in width, too. Therefore, when you cut off the butt the butt plate will have to be cut down to fit the narrower butt. I have managed to do it but I cut only a small amount off the butt so all I had to do was file off some of the toe of the butt plate and just a bit of the width of it as well. If one has to cut off very much, it may become harder to re-fit the butt plate. I ain't sayin' it can't be done but it isn't necessarily a slam dunk in all cases. Just a thought to keep in mind when you are contemplating the job.

Latest posts

Back