• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lets see some belt knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sharp.jpg

The 10" blade rifleman's knife over the striped hawk goes in the sheath to the left (up to the hilt) and rides on my left hip. The 5" blade scapler/skinner below the same hawk goes in the sheath to the right (halfway up the handle) and rides in my right side behind the shot pouch. The sheaths are simple three-piece patterns with linen sewn edges. I have a 2" leather belt with forged buckle for them.

I've been carrying the patch knife (above the neck knife on the bottom) inside my pouch.

Here is a belt knife I carry. I forged the blade from 3/16 1095 steel. The blade is 8 1/2 inches in length, the handle is 100 year old moose antler tine. Over all length is about 14 inches.

beltknif.jpg

The sheath is vegetable tan liner, elk rawhide outer, lead rivets, buffalo sinew sewn with buffalo sinew wrap.

I carry this knife under a 3" heavy belt on my left side in a cross draw fashion.

I also carry a small pol axe with an axe hewn haft but I only know how to post one picture at a time. :redface:

Joe

Thanks One Feather.

I need to try posting two pictures sometime, sorry.

Here is my pol axe. I made this from a piece of 1075 bar. The head is just under 5 inches long and 2 inches wide. The haft is curly figured ash hewn with an axe, flame hardened and burnished over soft pine.

polaxe.jpg

I carry this in back (but not often), axe below right kidney.

I really like accoutrements. :)

Joe

Stumpkiller said:
Sharp.jpg

The 10" blade rifleman's knife over the striped hawk goes in the sheath to the left (up to the hilt) and rides on my left hip. The 5" blade scapler/skinner below the same hawk goes in the sheath to the right (halfway up the handle) and rides in my right side behind the shot pouch. The sheaths are simple three-piece patterns with linen sewn edges. I have a 2" leather belt with forged buckle for them.

I've been carrying the patch knife (above the neck knife on the bottom) inside my pouch.

Nice lookin 'hawks .. where did you get 'em Stumpy! :grin:

Davy

Joe Yanta said:
Thanks One Feather.

I need to try posting two pictures sometime, sorry.

Here is my pol axe. I made this from a piece of 1075 bar. The head is just under 5 inches long and 2 inches wide. The haft is curly figured ash hewn with an axe, flame hardened and burnished over soft pine.

polaxe.jpg

I carry this in back (but not often), axe below right kidney.

I really like accoutrements. :)

Joe

I like the clean simple lines of your hawk Joseph! :v

Davy

Nice lookin 'hawks .. where did you get 'em Stumpy!

The polled hatchet is a FT forge British Issue style from the Revolutionaty era. The hickory handle is seared with a propane torch and tung oiled.

The smaller one is a H&B Squaw Hawk with the handle striped using a propane torch (twirled slowly through the flame so it chars slightly, then moved an inch & repeated). :haha:

do you carry your knife tied to your belt in any way or do you just tuck it under your belt. i too like the crossdraw carry

Thanks for all of your kind comments on my work. I have always admired and been motivated with the way early american pioneers were able to make fine things that have stood the test of time with less than modern technology. Their efforts at the time might have been for survival. But when they added their pride of workmanship and quality to their craft, it now becomes early american folk art of today. To have my efforts accepted by reenactors and the community of these forums is the finest reward I could receive. Thank you.

3Crows I do just slip the sheath under my belt. The buffalo sinew wrap around the throat area of the sheath add friction and resistance upon withdrawing the knife. I like carrying it this way because when you dont want to carry it anymore you dont have to take your belt and everything else on it to remove the knife.

Joe

Here are the 3 knives that I carry. They are a French Couteau de Boucher by Randy Wolfe and a Crooked Knife that was a gift from Henri'. The folder was pocket knife my Late Father carried for many years.
05121005.jpg

unsheathed:

05121004.jpg

Hello folks I sure hope this comes thru with the picture If it does this is my every day knife I don't leave home without it .

Here's my favorite blade to carry. The handle is the leg bone of a black bear with a 5" damascus blade

Bearbone_knife.JPG

Back