• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch knife carry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My knife is attached to my shooting bag along with horn, starter, measures, priming horn. A small thong secures the knife when not in use. We used to do speed shooting contests so this arrangement came in handy. Oh yeah, no plastic stuff was allowed.
20231209_192722.jpg

Last edited:
So where do you all carry your patch knife? I haven't found a good way to carry mine on my bag strap yet. I tried just running the shoulder strap through the belt loop on the sheath but the sheath didn't have enough tension to hold the knife well. So it goes in the bag with everything else for now. I prefer not to belt carry.
This is a rather 'Loaded' question.
There are so many preferences as well types and sizes of "patch knives". Also to consider is the type, size, and construction of the rifle bag being carried.

For a 'best answer' you would need to start a photo of:
"Here is my knife and here is my bag; how would one Suggest I carry it?"

Of all the suggestions I have read through here, I can think of some not even mentioned yet....BUT do any of them actually fit YOUR knife and YOUR bag setup?

I also carry my patch knife in a sheath I've sewn to the bag strap.
It's convenient.
Cutting the patch at the muzzle centers the patch perfectly every time.
I carry a rolled up 1" wide strip of Ticking that's been pre-lubed in a very small leather bag/pouch in the front of my shooting bag. It's handy and relatively clean. I just pull a bit out, lay it across the muzzle, and start the ball, gather the patch, and cut it there.

Small bags and pouches are easy to make, and it's worth learning how to sew leather.

So where do you all carry your patch knife? I haven't found a good way to carry mine on my bag strap yet. I tried just running the shoulder strap through the belt loop on the sheath but the sheath didn't have enough tension to hold the knife well. So it goes in the bag with everything else for now. I prefer not to belt carry.
I carry mine folded up in my waistcoat, or jeans pocket.

Back