• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lets see your squirrels, and rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtothis

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i was sitting on a ridge this weekend with my .58 hawken watchin a squirrel in the tree my foot was propped on, thinkin how much fun it would be to hunt squirrel/rabbit with a small calliber prb. i know most foks use shotguns, as that makes more sence, but id like to see some of your squirrel harvests, rifles, and id like to know where yall shoot them, and what calliber yall use. in short, id like to have some pics to drool over and some info to ponder. thanks guys!

P8010823.jpg

This'll seem a little big but was the most accurate gun I had at the time. Traditions Kentucky .50 percussion w/ 35 gr. 3fffg black powder, .016 cotton drill patch and mink oil tallow, .490 hornady roundball.

I don't always take pictures with squirrels - should do more. Here's a couple of one of my favorite squirrel rifles:

SquirrelRifle2.jpg

DGWSquirrelRifle002.jpg

I LOVE the Dixie Tennessee rifles. They are my all-time favorite production rifle.

I also have a TVM Tennessee in .40 that I use for deer and small game:

TVMTennessee.jpg

:hatsoff:
Spot

My favorite squirrel rifle is a .30 caliber flintlock, shoots 15 gr. 3F and a .290 PRB, tack driver. I try for head shots whenever I can. Can't see the squirrels well in the photo, tails hanging out at my waist. Three that day, and it was a muggy hot one.

Spence

Squirrelhunter.jpg

LouisSmithA.jpg

Wasn't too big, we can still plainly see that it's a squirrel! :applause:

Very nice rifle, Spence. Did you build it? Who made the barrel & what are the spec's on it? Thanks

Haven't taken many squirrel's with her, but this is "Liberty's Fist", my most accurate rifle. I've also taken a raccoon and a big ol' snappin turtle with her.

It's a .36 caliber and I shoot a .018 patch with either spit or mink oil as a lube over 40gr of FFFg. I'll be taking her out again in December for some squirrels.

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

George said:
My favorite squirrel rifle is a .30 caliber flintlock, shoots 15 gr. 3F and a .290 PRB, tack driver. I try for head shots whenever I can. Can't see the squirrels well in the photo, tails hanging out at my waist. Three that day, and it was a muggy hot one.

Spence

Squirrelhunter.jpg

LouisSmithA.jpg

Dog-gone it Spence!

I wish you would quit posting pictures of that sleek little 30 caliber. My rifles feel inadequate whenever you post them. :rotf:

BEAUTIFUL.....(and thanks for posting). :haha:

Skychief.

Here's my squirrel rifle with the first squirrel it ever shot.
It's a .36 TOW kit gun that I had Roy Stroh build for me. I shoot a .350 ball, .018 patch lubed with Stumpy's Moose Snot, and anywhere from 20-40 grains of Goex 3F.
Shoot 'em in the head.

HPIM0724.jpg

S6300164.jpg

S6300167.jpg

Ball hit the head but went through a bunch of brush and things the squirrel was in so the body got kinda tore up also.

Haven't had a chance to get after squirrels yet but had a New England style squirrel getter built by Roy. Applewood half stock .36 cal.

ne36o3.JPG

ne36p3.jpg

Wow!!!

You guys have some of the sweetest looking guns I've ever seen in my entire life!

Back