• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Let's talk about SQUARE patches!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Having plenty of pillow ticking and a pair of scissors, but, no patch cutter....I would like to hear your thoughts on the use of square patches. Anybody use them? Have you seen any accuracy differences between them and the more typical round patches?

Also, what size squares do you like for 36, 45 and 50 calibers?

Any and all thoughts on the subject are, as always, greatly appreciated! :bow:

No theres no difference and square is easier to cut. I'm in bed on the laptop and can't remember for sure but I think an inch and a quarter square is what I use for my .58, I won't know for sure until I check tomorrow.

I use square patches and cannot tell any difference from round. Thickness does,however,seem to make a big difference.I just cut my ticking into long strips,fold and cut them square, and soak them in warmed to liquid Crisco and bees wax.

I make and shoot round patches.I also cut and shoot squares ones at times, and also muzzle cut. All 3 methods give me same results!

I like square because they can be cut easily and a bit oversize so as to make centering the ball a little less critical. I also cut at the muzzle, but for a woods walk it is easier to have precut square in your bag and spit patch it for quick and easy loading. No need to use the short nub on the short starter. Just bonk it with the long arm and push it doun with one movement.

You can do the same with round patches but then you either have to purchase them (revolting idea to my frugal DIY mind :) ) or you need some sort of elaborate cutting device and must spend all that time cutting them out.

ozark57 explained the easy way to cut square patches. Also the quick and easy way to cut your wiping/cleaning patches.

Like Brett, I have used all three techniques (round, square & cut at muzzle/loading block) and have not experienced any differences in performance that I could attribute to the patch shape. Each method has its advocates but I do not recall any posts claiming better accuracy, higher initial velocity or less fouling with one shape over another. Patch shape seems to be simply a matter of personal taste or convenience. Patch thickness, patch material and lube DO have significant effects on performance.

Skychief said:
Having plenty of pillow ticking and a pair of scissors, but, no patch cutter....I would like to hear your thoughts on the use of square patches. Anybody use them? Have you seen any accuracy differences between them and the more typical round patches?
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/229618
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/240304
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/238484
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/234515

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that I have not noticed in all the various methods, that I do, is to tear the sheeting into strips first.Very quick and easy. The first one may not tear in line with the cut edge but all the others will tear in a straight line.I nick the edge with sissors then tear. When I have got a pile of strips I then cut into squares. Put them into a 35mm film canister with a healthy dose of the lube of the time and leave them on the dash of the car. In 40 yrs of M/L I can't see any difference between round and square.

I do like bitehard, tear and pull the loose threads. Then cut at the muzzle, It's easy. Coned the muzzle in the boy's 50 and a couple pistols, just thumb the prb to the muzzle depth, a carefull slice with a sharp knife and down the tube it goes

I cut square patches for 32,3,50,54 and hopefully by next year 40. the difference is only in the eyes of the person using them. Some of mine have been sort of diamond shaped and they worked. Would think the only thing that would matter is if you didn't use any with a round ball.

I use an inch-and-a-quarter squares for my .58 too. So, go a little smaller until you find a size that works well for you for the smaller calibers. I have a bit of material left over that folds over the ball on my .58 with a patch that size. I haven't noticed any issues over the round patches.

I have shot both square and round patches as well as cutting my patches at the muzzle. To tell the truth, I haven't noticed any difference at all so long as your ball is centered on the pre-cut patches. Of course, cutting at the muzzle, when done right, will guarantee that your ball is centered.

When I pre-cut my patches, whether round or square, I make them approximately 2 1/2 to 3 times the diameter of the ball. This insures that the patch will cover the ball and contact the lands and grooves with no extra material covering the ball. I don't know that having too big of a patch so that it wraps completely around the ball and folds over is a bad thing but I just do not want to have that much material to possibly interfere with the ball after it leaves the barrel. I don't know that too much patch material actually hurts anything but I choose not to have it in the way. Besides, it does not seem to be beneficial in any way to have too much patch. I can tell you from experience that if you use a short starter, as many people do, and it has a close fitting tip that is near the bore size, having too large of a patch can cause the patch material to wrap onto the end of your short starter and grab it. This can result in having a tug of war with your short starter to get it out of the muzzle. :thumbsup:

These are just the thoughts of an old fart who has been building and shooting muzzleloaders for over 40 years. The opinions are free and, no doubt, over priced at that. :haha:

iagree with Coot... it's a matter of personal preference... i have tried several methods, and i cut at the muzzle, but that's just 'cause it's convenient for me...

the patch is spinning a about a zillion rpm (i haven't done the arethmatic) but i don't see how the shape would have any effect on the projectile since it's pulled away from the ball at the muzzle.

just one guy's opinion, and no doubt worth what you just paid for it.

Interesting to note that when pushed into a ball block first my patches come out mostly square with radiused corners.

patches.jpg

I agree with Bill, cut at muzzle or loading block and the ball is in the center no matter what the shape.
TC

I used to cut a strip of pillow ticking and after starting the ball, I would cut the patch strip with a knife. This is how many old timers did it and when it is done this way, it definately is not round. I would grease the patch strip before-hand and roll it up.

Since I have changed to teflon impregnated patches, I cut them square. I love those teflon patches! Works great in any kind of weather.

Wrong, cutting rounds is a fast way to cut a patch. All you need is to select a hole opener at Harbor Freight. They are cheap. Take the hole openner and grind the teeth off, put a sharp edge on it. Chuck it into a hand drill or drill press you can cut more patches than you will need in a few minutes. I use a cheap $40.00 drill press. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back