• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Liner removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyrone

36 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the best way to remove an existing vent liner? The hole in the liner on my flintlock has gotten big enough where too much gas is escaping causing loss of velocity.
I've never taken the liner out since building the rifle 10 years ago. It won't unscrew and I want to remove the liner without messing up the threads so that I can install a new liner.

I usually drill a larger hole in the center of them & use a square easyout & tap it in & back it out. Sometimes I have to heat them a tad, just depends on if the guy that installed it used Neverseize or not. Watch not to break the easyout as then ya have a bit of a problem........

:results:

Broke an easyout on my first gun...put it in a local antique shop and sold it to tourists for about what I'd paid for the kit...agree that you don't want to do it...the supply of tourists is limited..Hank
PS...they were mostly from NYC, so I put a sign on the gun that said, "Garanteed not to shoot">..

I have the original keyed chuck that came with the (old) 9.6 volt battery drill. I replaced it with a keyless. I use the keyed chuck from time to time to hold stuff securely. One use is good here. Get yourself a left handed bit and try this in removing the vent. Go Slow. the hand operated chuck is just another tool in the arsenal. It pays to have good selection of tools. This said, if I was gettin nervous about the vent I would just go to a friendly smith that has a mill and have him remove it. The hand operated keyed chuck will hold taps, reamers, shafts from old screwdrivers and lotta things that may or may not fit in a tap wrench.

Last time I took a stuck one out I soaked it for about two days in penetrating oil, stop up the hole with a toothpick or something and squirt enough down the bore to cover the vent liner. Then use heat and ease out. I make my vent liners out of ss threaded rod, and cut a screw slot before installing. Then I wrap with teflon so I can remove it for cleaning. I know very few people do it that way, but it makes flushing the bore real easy, and I replace my liner at least once a year.

Back