• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lissa, My new smoothe rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildeagle

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's a couple of pics and my thoughts about the smoothe rifle I've been cobbling together.
001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

The stock is a piece of striped maple I found in a corner of a shop I regularly visit. I also found the trigger guard, thimbles, butt plate, and lock there. The trigger, side plate, and remaining inlays were made on my bench. The patch box cover is a piece of wood from a totally different source, so it does'nt quite match.

009.jpg

001-1.jpg

I did'nt want it to be real fancy, kinda simple, but I guess I went overboard on some of the details.
The lock is I suppose more english, but it was as close to french as I could do. The entry thimble and patch box cover have sort of a" fluer de lis" feeling, hoping to give a french theme, along with the rear butterfly sight. I had to add a finial to the thimble so i made it look like an original repair.

005-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

006.jpg

It has a 42", .620 bore (20 ga) Colrain Barrel, oct to round with a double wedding band , with 4 underlugs,1 dovetailed the rest soldered.
The has a Davis, E. tryon trade gun flint lock. I would like it not to have a bridle , but oh well, I'll tinker with that later, along with some engraving if my abilities improve.
The stock was stained with aqua fortis and finished with Tru-oil. Total length is 58 inches. And I'm kicking the idea of a sling swivel on the fore stock. It weighs in at about 8 3/4 pounds, it feels alot lighter than it looks. I wanted a little more wood off the fore end , but this is what I ended up with, I still think it ended up a little clunky.
I under stand there are alot of mixed details making up this gun, I wanted a gun that would handle shot and round ball both, and this what I wound up with. A limited budget does kinda set the parameter, it may be a form of dream piece but I'm pretty happy with the outcome.
I'd appreciate any comments, pretty thick skinned so be truthful, it will help on the next build.

It looks like you put a lot of work in to this rifle. What is the story behind the irregular shaped thumb piece? What was it like inletting that?

Here's a few pics of the muzzle.With the palm swell and bulb at the muzzle, it still looks clunky to me. It is a 7/8" tube, but I think it could be thinner and more graceful from the entry thimble on out.

010.jpg

009-2.jpg

008-1.jpg

The thumb plate will have the same type of engraving the side plate has, I forgot to load a pic of it so here's what it looks like.

008.jpg

Nice, looks every bit of 200 years old to me. :thumbsup: Did you inlet the side plate half way or not inlet it at all?

Half way, Swampy. The workmanship has a lot of flaws, if you know where to look for them. And some of them just kinda stand up and say "here I am ". :wink:

Great lookin work! I like the wood patchbox never seen a release like that did you make it? I am building my son a southern rifle 50 cal. some new parts some old parts. Hope it turns out as nice.

Mike

Thank you Mike. I saw a release like it sometime ago, can't remember when or where, a book maybe? I have one like it on my .50 cal Haynes rifle.

Congratulations ..you put lots of time and thought into that one!.Love the wedge keys the palm swell the entry pipe and the bulb at the muzzle .like the simple trigger guard too..I'm not a carving lines guy.not much for patch boxes but you did great ..I'm proud for you ..Well done.
The removable rear sight is pretty neat love the fact you made it too!....Dan

All I can say is, Your one heck of a Cobbler! :haha:
I like it a lot, ya done real gooood. :hatsoff:
Dusty :wink:

Thanks guy's' I appreciate the kind sentiments. There are times I would like to try building full time, but there are to many irons in the fire, and I can't dedicate the time to the craft it deserves. I started this gun a little less than a year ago and worked on it off and on. Winter hit and I could devote more time to it. But then there are bags, horns, clothes, and a couple of knives to make, so I work on which ever one I'm most inspired with at the time. And that's not counting work, and chores around the house. Kinda wish there was about ten more hours in the day, but then I'd just get to the end of my trail that much sooner. :shocked2:

Back