• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Live Firing Indian Mfg. Muskets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince N

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Who has live fired(patch & ball) their Indian Mfg. muskets and have they proven to be an "accurate?!!" smooth bore.Are they "hitting" close to the point of aim? Thanks for the input.

I have fired my Indian .62 fusil and found the combination of me and my musket to be terribly inaccurate. But until recently it was the only gun I owned so the jury is still out whether the problem is the gun or the gunner. :(

haven't shot one myself but considering the origin and previous posts I'd say it'll probably be an 'per-item' basis.

Mine shoots fine for hunting moose ,deer and patterns good enough for turkeys.If your hitting low ,you mite try lifting your cheek up on the stock,more like a shotgun than down tight like a rifle.You should see the barrel in your sight picture.hope this helps practice practice practice repeat :thumbsup:

Are you refering to the ones sold by Mdlsx Vil. Trdng in Charlestown NH? If so, I was to a vous a week ago and one of the SB shooters had one (don't remember the model but had a barrel length of about 50" and a dog catch on the sideplate) that was very accurate with fast ignition; and that was using .60c balls in a .69c barrel !!

Actually, I was shooting mine this afternoon and just finished cleaning it before getting on the computer. Mine is the Middlesex Village Brown Bess ship's carbine. I was accustomed to shooting the Tulle and the Charleyville, and so I was unsure what to expect accuracy wise from such a short barrel. As it turns out, it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. I was shooting today on a 30 yard range at a standard 25 yard slow fire pistol target. With a 6 oclock hold, the balls strike about 2" high of point of aim. Of the 10 rounds I fired, 9 were within the 6 ring and one was in the 7 ring. I use a light charge of 70 grains of 2f, a 69 cal. ball, and a greased patch of heavy pillow ticking. I like this little musket, and I've shot it quite a bit since I got it this spring. Metal finish inside and out is very good, inletting is not perfect, but acceptable, and wood finish is the same, but mine is pretty grainy in places. Main spring is a little heavier than it needs to be, but it's a good sparker, and despite the heavy hammer fall, it's pretty easy on flints. Actually, the lock functions very well and there is good angle and alignment of the flint and frizzen. As time goes on, I'll probably re-do the stock. and make a few other cosmetic changes, but overall, I'm very pleased with it and it certainly shoots well enough and is reliable enough for the deer hunting I do.

I just got my 1st model Bess from Middlesex, awesome! I was a bit hesitant about it, but man o man am I a happy little booger! I ended up becoming a distributor for them as well. They are some super people!!

Back