• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Liver eating Johnson rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jst

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Thinking about ordering one. Anybody know anything about them, other than what is on the website?

Can you reference the website please?

I am considering a new rifle and have been searching for what I want to spend my money on.

October country makes this particular rifle. They don't list a price for it though. I been trying to find some independent reviews on line about it. But no luck .

Jst said:
October country makes this particular rifle. They don't list a price for it though. I been trying to find some independent reviews on line about it. But no luck .

Thank you, reviews are very important.

I have been looking for a rifle and not sure what I want. I keep looking at several places to see what is available and for some reason I keep coming back to Hawken style rifles.

Looks a lot like a TC Hawken. Like you noted, no price listed, but it doesn't look like it should be a very costly rifle. If it's in the $1000 range I'd opt for a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken and end up with something that looks more like an original. Or...if that's the look you like, I'd just opt for a nice gently-used TC Hawken for $300 - $400.

Spikebuck said:
Looks a lot like a TC Hawken. Like you noted, no price listed, but it doesn't look like it should be a very costly rifle. If it's in the $1000 range I'd opt for a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken and end up with something that looks more like an original. Or...if that's the look you like, I'd just opt for a nice gently-used TC Hawken for $300 - $400.

At my age, having to wait on a rifle to be built, I often ponder that decision.

I check TOW to see what is available and keep considering the Rocky Mountain in Maple also. The Gun Works has some nice rifles as well.

Durn, I have T/C's and want to step up.

Oh I have had a tc Hawken and have a cvs Hawken. I'm kinda wanting a custom gun now in a .58 to .69 caliber. Wanting power and accuracy. Think I may take it on a bear hunt ya see.

Jst said:
Oh I have had a tc Hawken and have a cvs Hawken. I'm kinda wanting a custom gun now in a .58 to .69 caliber. Wanting power and accuracy. Think I may take it on a bear hunt ya see.

I want custom also, have the money just have not found what I want, leaning real close to one at TOW.

I looked at their Jaeger, and transitional rifle. I like those myself.

I don't have an account to post pics; however...

I was back home in Cheyenne for the holidays and my dad needed to have knee surgery so while he was under, I ran next door to the state museum and took several pics of the real rifle if you care to see what the original looked like. Send me an E-mail address and I can send the pics to whoever may be interested

I received my first TC Hawken rifle back in the late 70's out of the local Montgomery Wards catalog. I only have two now, the Pedersoli RM Hawken in maple and a Pedersoli Tryon in maple. You won't regret getting one.

judgin' only by looks, seems ya could put a fancy grade pecitonica pre-carve maple stock on a T/C & have about the same thing.

Hairball said:
I received my first TC Hawken rifle back in the late 70's out of the local Montgomery Wards catalog. I only have two now, the Pedersoli RM Hawken in maple and a Pedersoli Tryon in maple. You won't regret getting one.
quote]

I have one of the RM Hawkens that was in the first shipment to the U.S., it's walnut and have a Tryon in walnut from when Trail Guns was in business. Paul let me spend hours going through his inventory to select the one with the best wood.

I really want a Hawken with a really nice maple stock.

Yep, but at the end of the day, it is still a T/C.

Not a thing wrong with a T/C, I have numerous and really like them. Would like to raise the bar a bit.

The October Country web site shows a .58 cal "hawkens plains " rifle for $2000. It is a less costly gun than the deluxe liver eating Johnson, which a couple of years ago, anyways, I remember as being under $2000....I'm sure it's more now.

Richard Eames said:
Yep, but at the end of the day, it is still a T/C.

Not a thing wrong with a T/C, I have numerous and really like them. Would like to raise the bar a bit.

If I were looking for a percussion Hawken in .54, I'd put a bid in on that Leonard Day Early Hawken with the Modena Patchbox on ToW in a heartbeat. I wouldn't offer what they are asking, but it's a very nice rifle, at least to my eye. Too bad the builder put a visible catch on the patchbox lid as the original did not have that. But, that wouldn't be a deal-killer to me. :grin:

If your heart isn't definitely set on the Liver Eatin' Johnson rifle, this is a great rifle
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/542/3/LYMAN-GPR-54-P

It comes in flintlock as well
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/542/3/LYMAN-GPR-54-F

The .54 has plenty of what Roundball calls "whompability". If an animal roams North America, a well placed shot from a .54 will put them down. A .58 and a .62 tend to get pretty punishing on the other end (the one that you're hanging onto), too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that Mike Nesbitt did a review of that rifle for "Muzzleloader" a while back, and seemed impressed by it. I believe he said that the Johnson rifle is an upgrade from the standard. Of course if someone gave me a new rifle to try out I would probably write a favorable review also. All in all it does look to be an accurate representation of a Hawken. It looks like it does have a correctly shaped stock, in particular the butt plate, and the pipes are properly installed on the rib.
The Pedersoli does not address these two areas very well. It has a butt plate with their fake coloring, which is not correct and the toe extends way too far back. The ramrod pipes are installed on the surface of the rib and the front pipe is too far forward.
These things may not be very important to someone who just wants a shooter, in which case the Lyman is fine, but if you are looking for an accurate representation of a Hawken, then they are important. The Pedersoli is not an in expensive rifle and would no doubt be a good shooter, but I would prefer to spend a bit more and get something a little better myself.

Pete G is right, the Devil is in the details.

I don't want to start again or beat to death an argument that's been going on here for years,,
But it's all about the proper "copy" of an original Hawkens rifle vrs the all favorite common Hawken/Plains rifle factory shooters available today.

Latest posts

Back