• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Liver eating Johnson rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete G said:
The Pedersoli does not address these two areas very well. It has a butt plate with their fake coloring, which is not correct and the toe extends way too far back. The ramrod pipes are installed on the surface of the rib and the front pipe is too far forward.

Are you referring to the Rocky Mountain Hawken or the cheap model produced for Cabelas?

For a authentic Hawken check out Don Stith's, St. Louis Plains Rifle Company. He sells parts kits.

necchi said:
Pete G is right, the Devil is in the details.

I don't want to start again or beat to death an argument that's been going on here for years,,
But it's all about the proper "copy" of an original Hawkens rifle vrs the all favorite common Hawken/Plains rifle factory shooters available today.

Agree, and most of us probably "WOULDN'T WANT" John Johnson's Hawken - at least not if we had to actually carry it around.

The original resides at the Buffalo Bill center.

It is a 56 caliber with a 31 1/4" barrel tipping the scales at 13 pounds 4 ounces.

Not exactly a modern "featherweight" model :)

And this is the issue with "tacking" someone's name onto a rifle/gun as a marketing ploy. Whatever rifle you get, unless it's custom made, will probably not resemble John's rifle in any manner.

There are a few "original" rifles throughout Wyoming as he had several. The one in the State museum is a sporterized Spencer Hawken in .50 cal

Richard Eames said:
Jst said:
Oh I have had a tc Hawken and have a cvs Hawken. I'm kinda wanting a custom gun now in a .58 to .69 caliber. Wanting power and accuracy. Think I may take it on a bear hunt ya see.

I want custom also, have the money just have not found what I want, leaning real close to one at TOW.

I built a ToTW Hawken many years ago, (25?), and spent a few weeks in my shop getting it finished. At the time the parts were more than a new T/C, and way more than a new CVA. You get what you pay for from Track, but if it's your first build, you might consider a kit from Lyman, as the GPR is far easier to assemble, and costs a lot less.

actually the only true Hawken rifle kit comes from The Hawken Shop.

the Hawken shop

For Original Hawken Rifles and component parts/trade goods contact
The Hawken Shop at:
1-360-679-4657
1-800-450-7111
"Claudette Green & Greg Roberts
Hawken Shop
Oak Harbour, WA. 98277

Dear Claudette & Greg,

The departure of Art Ressel's "Hawken Shop" from the St. Louis area has proven to be a great loss to the muzzle loading caplock rifle devotees here in the Midwest.

As a direct descendent of Jacob Hawken, of the Sake and Sam Hawken St. Louis gunsmiths, this loss is both personal and poignant. For I have always been proud of my heritage, particularly the fact that the Hawken Rifle is widely acclaimed for its exceptional craftsmanship and superior quality.

While I regret its loss, it's gratifying to know that you have acquired the "Hawken Shop," moved it to the state of Washington and have continued building the recreations of the classic S. Hawken plains rifle. In so doing, you are continuing the true Hawken tradition by the authenticity and dedicated quality of your recreations.

For this, I offer my congratulations and support. In addition, I applaud you for your continuing endeavors in upholding the reputation and tradition associated with the Hawken Rocky Mountain Rifle.

Sincerely,

John R. Hawken"

I have been there and met Claudette & Greg,

To all:

Click on the link Greg provides. It comes to a page with many examples of what are purportedly original Hawken's (including one that is a flint conversion. :grin: :stir: )

Now, if anyone can look at all those and tell me that they all look exactly alike, then I'll go have my eyes checked. I see different comblines, different curves in the buttplates, different lengths of many "critical" measurements.

Now, most have a similar "Hawken" look to them, but I just do not see this notion many seem to proclaim with great enthusiasm that down to a nano-measurement, or even relative measurement, these rifles were the same. A few look just downright "different."

Granted, none of them look like a TC Hawken or a Lyman Great Plains, etc. (although I can see pretty darned close resemblance to the Pedersoli Rocky Mtn Hawken in there) but insinuating there is only "one true" Hawken set of criteria would appear to be :bull:

If there isn't, then unless one is recreating an exact replica of a particular individual rifle, there would seem to be some leeway in achieving an authentic Hawken "look." :v

I think they might sell a few more of them if they gave an option in twist rates. I only shoot round ball and prefer a much slower twist rate than what is currently offered (1 in 45)

Back