• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

load for my new to me flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shelf life once a can is opened.

I dont have a shelf life, I usually shoot at least a pound a year!

I do have a pound of Goex that cost $8.50 and started using again and it shoots great (bought like 20 years ago?). Also have a OLD can of pyrodex (guessing its an original?) that had a clump or two and it shoots great. My T7 never goes a year and now starting to use real BP most the time.

fired it today starting with 10 grains then up to 15 , will try 20 next time
was all over the place but need tp get used to the gun , never shot bp and the trigger is stiff
6" groups at 10 foot sucks but I just need practice
was surprise at no recoil , great gun for a woman or smaller man , was quite also , did not scare my live stock 25 foot away ( they like just look like what )

You'll find that all black powder guns kick differently than modern smokeless powder guns.

The heavier the powder charge, the more this becomes evident.

Modern smokeless powder burns at a much faster speed so the recoil is "sharp".

Black powder burns slower so it tends to give the bullet/ball a very hard push resulting in the gun giving you a hard push.

Have fun. :)

Cynthialee said:
... is 1/2 of caliber in grains of 3F BP. +/-5 or so grains

So your .45 comes out to a starting load of...

Thanks for the tip! I've been loading way too heavy for my New Army .44 six-gun.

Now, to find a thumb rule for my .54 Hawken. Dad was probably loading that puppy for war ...

Uhhhm......55-60 grains? :shocked2: :hmm:

This is the Handgun forum and we're speaking of a pistol. 55 grains sounds more than a little on the stiff side to me. :)

50 grains of 2F is a stout load in my nine inch barreled .54 hand gun but it is also accurate.
You won't be able to burn more than 30 grains with a patched round ball anyway in a .45 cal with a six inch barrel.
Much more will just be blown down range and fertilize the grass.

" Dad was probably loading that puppy for war "

No need for loading a .54 all that heavily. A load of only 55 grains of 3f with a patched round ball, according to Lyman's Black Powder Handbook, will produce about 425 ft. pounds of energy at 100 yards. That is more than enough energy to drop an elk, deer or antelope or similar animal. Develop an accurate load and it will make a fine hunting rifle.

Latest posts

Back