• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

loaded for bear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok on agust first bear opens here. Thinking of using my 50 hawken. With 70 grns. Of goex FFg and a home cast 370 grn. Maxi ball shots will be around 50 to 80 yards. Is this enough for black bear?

rawhide said:
Ok on agust first bear opens here. Thinking of using my 50 hawken. With 70 grns. Of goex FFg and a home cast 370 grn. Maxi ball shots will be around 50 to 80 yards. Is this enough for black bear?
That should do the trick well. I am not sure where your from but in my experience with black bear (6) to my credit I have never had a shot over 25 yards I have no doubt the load you have will do the job well the maxi ball is a bad dude and heavy enough for the job at hand. Looking forward to an update and photos.

Yep, plenty

I killed them with 50 PRB in the past 90 grs of FFg and it worked very well.

Also have a .75 cal musket thinking of maybe using to shooting a 735 ball with 90 grns. of Fg goex. Think this will be a winner to. And a friend of mine was wondering how his trade gun would be. Its a .62 cal he will be shooting a .610 ball with 80 grns. Of FFg. Both gun we will use .015 pillow ticking for patches.

Latest posts

Back