• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading Ruger .45 Old Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawid

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi to all.
I am new to black powder loading.
But been loading smokeless in 40,357sig and 9mm for some time. I resently got a Ruger .45 Old Army so I need the Corect load of Sporting powder FFg on 142grain lead balls. Just to make sure. These are the only guns we are able to buy in the New South Africa, I need to get real handy in using it.
Thanks
Dawid

Dawid, are you looking for a hunting load or target load for the Old Army?

My target load is 25 gr 3Fg, 15 gr vol measure of corn meal, .457 rd ball and crisco grease over the ball and a #11 RWS cap. This has been a very accurate load in my Old Army.

O.A.'s can handle up to 35 gr. of 3F in each chamber under a .457 RB if you only use one Ox-Yoke type felt wad under the ball. This is my typical load. I have tried the conicals in my O.A. as well. They do alright, cut down your main powder charge some as they take up more room. I know they have stripped you guys of many modern weapons down there in S.A. - damn shame I say. The O.A. is as good a cap and ball revolver you can get for hunting, matchdc only by the Walkers which weigh twice as much. Still, these black powder revolvers don't have a tremendous amount of steam - almost always under 500 ft. pounds of energy at the muzzle. Be sure to keep that fact in mind when using the they have their limitations.

Thanks for the reply.
I loaded my Revolwer with 40 gr of FFg and it worked well. It would be only for target shooting.
Latest news here is that all semiouts would be in the cofiscated next year.
Dawid

I had my 2 OA's out to the range yesterday. I normally shoot synthetics in mine. A typical load is 25 to 30 grains 777 under a .457 roundball, each cylinder topped with crisco, and a #11 cap. I upped the load a for one cylinder to 35 grains. It seems more accurate with 25 grains.
enjoy your O.A. I have owned mine since 1975.

My SS old army did great with 35 grains of 2F. Someone told me that loading the conical backward would make a good wad cutter, I have not tried it yet.

It seems that you are wondering about self defense with the Ruger and that is my concern too. I have found both my Ruger old army revolvers wouldn't fire a cap the first strike. the second hammer blow would fire it. NOT GOOD. Experiment with different brands of caps. I also left my gun loaded with Goex brand black powder for two weeks with Crisco covering the front of the cylinders and it fired when the cap went off. For defense, reliability is most important. The Old Army with 35 grains powder and round ball is plenty powerful enough at close range.

Back