• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron9969

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Well mabe this well help out more new and confused people.So your putting in a measured amount of powder,some kind of patch(prelubed wad)and the ball is tight so its pushed snuggly into place,then sealed up with grease?And every chamber on the cylinder has a cap to provide the spark?

Your post does not identify the type of pistol being loaded.

Patched undersized (less than bore size) roundballs on top of a measured powder charge are used in single shot pistols. The patches are lubed and need to fill the space between the ball and the lands & grooves of the rifling or (just the gap based on a smaller than bore size ball in a smoothbore).

Revolvers may be loaded (different people have their preferences for methods) in one of three ways, all on top of a measured powder charge in the cylinder: 1) bare oversized ball (or conical) directly on top of powder with grease over the ball. 2) A lubed wad (not a parch) over the powder with the oversized ball/conical following & generally omitting the grease and 3) with a measured amount of filler such as corn starch over the powder to leave the (still oversized prior to loading) roundball or conical nearly flush with the end of the cylinder when loaded. This third system (resulting in the cylinder completely full & the projectile as close as possible to the barrel is favored by a number of target shooters. In all three methods, there is a barrier (in addition to the ball) between the powder charge and the barrel when firing an adjacent cylinder. All three will send the ball downrange.

Ron the load order would be:

Powder, wad, ball.

Some put a safety greased wad over the ball.

after you get all 6 loaded, then a cap on the all the nipples.

Ron On a personal note (My opinion take it with again of salt).

Id not own or shoot another one again. I got 30 years ago I got to experience a chain fire once.

They are a experienced black powder pistol persons handgun. A single shot flintlock is a lot more fun, and safer. Not to mention easier to clean.

But then Im not a handgun type of guy. So I dont use any of them.

Ron,

I'm a competitive black powder revolver shooter. How can I help you? Keep in mind that I know what works for most of us, but I don't know everything, LOL!

What specific model are you looking to possibly obtain? Let's start there.

Dave

Latest posts

Back