• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loads for .72 Kodiak

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anybone have a favorite load worked up for a Pedersoli .72 cal Kodiak? I just bought one and thought I might save a little time with load development.
Thanks

Husky: I am at work and don't have my load anc chronograph notes handy. But if I recall correctly, 120 grains Goex FFg and a patched .715 round ball gave best accuracy in my particular .72, and I went on up to 150 grains with no ill effects on gun or shoulder. But 120 grains was about all I cared to use under an 835-grain paradox-style conical out of a .730 caliber NEI mould. Recoil was authoritative, but as with most BP loads, not punishing as a smokeless magnum would be. I only lit this bullet off with 150 grains just once, though.
My .72 Kodiak was a wonderful gun that I regret selling; hope to own one again.

Thanks Bill, do you know if NEI still makes the conical mould? I have one of their current catalogs around here somewhere but who knows where? How was your Kodiak for accuracy?

Randall

Randall: The mold you want is NEI mold No. 399, .732-835.
Having worked with two different Kodiaks in .58 and one in .72, I can say that it is not hard to achieve very pleasing groups with round ball, and that it is much tougher with conicals. It helps to think of the Kodiak as two different rifles sharing the same stock. In other words, as with any rifle, each barrel will have its pet load. Because of the very complex dynamics of doubles, I found it very helpful to have a copy of Graeme Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle," which you can get from Huntingtons, Buffalo Arms and other sources. It is mostly devoted to cartridge guns, but the principles of crossing bullet paths apply to the muzzleloaders as well.
I worked at 50 yards with my Kodiaks, and could easily get each barrel to print cloverleaf groups that would be just an inch or two apart at that range. Never got them to converge perfectly, but had such a ball shooting these doubles that I frankly didn't care.
With the .72, I got to where I could keep the 835-grain slugs within three inches or so at 50 yards, certainly minute of moose or bison. I didn't own the mould, though, so my shooting was limited.
The guy I got the .72 from also send a half-dozen really heavy conicals -- over 1100 grains. Fired a couple under 120 grains, and was glad for a shoulder pad.
Kodiaks are very cool guns, and I can't wait to hear how yours performs. The .72 is simply awesome and the wieght in the barrels makes one feel almost invincible. I spoke with a fellow who took a Cape buffalo with a .58 Kodiak in Africa, and said he wanted to go back armed with the .72.
Bill

Thanks again Bill, Did the NEI conicals need to be sized to fit the bore of your .72 or were they loaded as cast? I haven't had the time to mike the bores on mine so I was curious. Do you remember what the rate of twist is in these? It seems like I had seen a figure of 1 in 72 but I can't find the reference now.

Randall

Randall: The conicals were used as cast -- no sizing needed.
You'll have to check the twist rate, as Pedersoli changed the specs after first introducing the rifle. I have heard everything from 1:48 to 1:86. Bore specs are supposed to be .724 lands and .732 grooves. As I recall, a good whack with a short start and the NEI conical was on its way.

The website shows 1:75 twist for the .72 cal and 1:47 for the .58 cal.
Can anyone discuss the difference in ballistic performance between the .58 and the .72 ?
I have had a hard time deciding between the two...looking to use it for stalking bears in swamps and hogs back in texas.

Bears in swamps and hog in Texas? At the ranges you will incounter either of these shoulder mounted cannons should be overkill just place your shot then your followup shot then sit down and rub your shoulder. Have a good time I like my doubles but they are only .50s and no hog has walked away yet. Fox :thumbsup:

Buckmaster: For your use, I would take the .72. You won't get that big .715 ball to the same velocity as you would the .570, but it's going to make a bigger impression on critters that can bite back, no matter what the kinetic energy tables show. As Jeff Cooper once said, it may not be moving all that fast, but then neither does a medicine ball.
Still, either of these guns will serve you well, and you can go to the conical in the .58 for more penetration.

Back