• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loads for Austin & Halleck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOOT

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm a "greenhorn" muzzleloader who just bought an Austin & Halleck Mountain Rifle-Percussion-with 1/28" bullet barrel. From what I have read on various websites, conicals are about the only bullet that will be anywhere accurate out of this gun. Can anyone help me out with some suggested loads to start with for deer sized game, as well as prefered powder and bullet brands? From what I can tell, the fit and finish on the gun is fine and it has a nicely figured stock as well, so guess I got lucky in that dept! Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

YOu can try some round balls with light charges of powder and see what happens. Often this results is some very good target loads. You did not state what cal your rifle is. I really like the Hornady great plains bullets. These bullets have a hollow point and made of soft pure lead. Hornady makes them in 45 cal, 50 cal, 54 cal and 58 cal. With your fast twist you should be able to shoot long bullets. Those of us with 1-48 twist barrels end up using short bullets. The 390 grain Great Plains bullets work best in my TC Hawken. YOu should read the owners manual that came with your rifle and start there with loads. Hope this helps.

I have 1-28 GM barrels for my TC Renegades in 50 and 54 cal. For the 50 cal; 385 gr Buffalo bullets over a wonder wad and 80 gr FFg, the 54 cal; 425 gr Hornadays over a wonder wad and 90 gr FFg. Both loads are as accurate as I can shoot with open sights.

You can go up ca. 10-15 gr with each without loss of accuracy but the recoil becomes excessive.

It's a 50 cal. The owner's manual that they sent with the gun leaves a lot to be desired. No loads were listed, only a max. powder load of 100 gr., and a warning not to shoot the preformed pellets. Glad to hear that I could shoot the round balls though.

I have the same gun but in flintlock and I have been shooting Hornady PA conicals out of mine with 50 and 60 grain loads and they all group very low. Although these bullets are really meant for roundball, slow-twist barrels, I would guess a 70 or 80 grain charge would get me into the rings.

The makers of many muzzleloaders leave the front sight tall which makes the gun shoot low.
This is IMO, done because the maker does not know what load you will be shooting or at what range.

Filing off the top of the front sight to lower it, will raise the point of impact to suit you, the range and the load you decide to shoot.
If the front sight is blued, you can touch up the bare metal after your done filing with a little Cold Blueing available at most gun shops.

zonie :)

Many thanks to all for the info. I'm sure I'll have more questions later. You all might make a blackpowder shooter out of me yet!

With the 1:28 twist, you should be able to shoot mid to heavy weight conicals just fine. I have A/H rifles in percussion and flint, but both are 1:66. They shoot well at 60 and 80 grains of 3F, but I only shoot round ball in them. If yours turns out to be as accurate as mine have, I think you're in for a pleasant surprise. For a spanish made barrel, the bores are superb.

Back