• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock bolt - a problem?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kropek

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a brand new Colt Navy .36 by Pietta. After shooting the first cylinder I noticed scorring of the cylinder surface around the engagement notches. It looked as if the bolt was too wide for the notches. After disassembling the revolver and the clean up I had to remove the burrs with the knife and a little file. I checked the fitting of the two parts when out of the frame - it seems to be all right. The assembled revolver seems to be "indexing" the cylinder correctly. There is little play between the cylinder and the bolt in four positions (hammer cocked) and in the two remaining positions the bolt locks the cylinder solid.
I've fired some forty shots and heres what one of the notches looks like. The others are little different :-(.
cylinder_scoring-06a-min.jpg

Perhaps it's not the problem with the bolt fitting but wrong timing?
I'm about to order a replacement bolt but perhaps it would be unnecessary? Is there anything I could find the cause of the scoring?

Cheers
Andrzej

If it's in time and locking up tight I wouldn't worry about it but that's just me.

IMO, if the chambers line up with the barrels bore and the cylinder bolt prevents the cylinder from moving (much) you really don't need to buy a new bolt.

I am a little suprised at the heavy wear on the notch where the bolt snapped down into it and I would recommend that you use a small file to remove what appears to be a small burr there.

To me, the little ding on the left hand side looks like the bolt didn't lift all the way out of the notch before the cylinder began to rotate.
This might be caused by the bolt being too tall or because of the timing of the lug on the hammer but here again, I wouldn't worry about it.

zonie :)

It is hammering it.

The bolt is hard, the cylinder is soft. Reduce the tension/pressure
on the trigger/cylinder stop spring.
I have done this a number of times, it works.

I use a Music Wire trigger/cylinder spring. Easier to adjust the
spring tension and less likely to break.

Tinker2

Back