• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock Collecting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am away from my shop, but I carry an image of the tracing I made of the lock mortise. Dimensions are in inches. Front edge of lock tips in and is captured under the standing breech, while rear edge is held down by a wood screw.
Of course,being a double, this is the left side lock. Right side is a mirror image.
- Moonshine Joe
What you have is known as a back action lock. They are, or were, common on shotguns as well as on some rifles. They seem to be pretty scarce and I always am on the lookout for them since I like building back action lock rifles. L&R makes new ones but the quality isn't anywhere near what the older ones are. I know, I just used an L&R. I don't normally talk down products but facts are facts and you should keep looking for the older ones.

Back