• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock coming loose during shooting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Myers

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have just finished my Hawken 50 cal and shot 7 shots through it. So nice of a weapon. So nice. Now when i went to clean it i saw the front of the lock came out about 1/16th of an inch. Did i do something wrong? It works well but just noticed it. ANyone know if i can secure it somehow so it does not move. When building it was tight but not to tight. Do i need to just tighten up the lock bolt. Duh!!! ill look at that now!

THank you
Chris

No but im not sure I tightened it down fully when finishing it up. I'll check on it and see. If I did tighten down and it came loose I'll use lock tight. Thnks

Just apply a little drop of the removable type don't go overboard with the stuff.

Now when i went to clean it i saw the front of the lock came out about 1/16th of an inch. Did i do something wrong?
If I did tighten down and it came loose I'll use lock tight.
I would not think you would need or want to use Loctite on a lock bolt, something that gets removed frequently. Better to correct the problem. There is a good chance that lock/lock bolt were not full seated before you started shooting. You might want to tap the bolt head lightly with a plastic hammer or screwdriver handle and see if anything moves. Then when you go shooting the next time, check that lock bolt after each shot.

I would not think you would need or want to use Loctite on a lock bolt, something that gets removed frequently.
No problem using blue Loctite on bolts that needed to be "removed frequently". Not the best solution, better to do as @SDSmlf recommends, but if nothing else works, don't rule out the Loctite. I'm one of those that plays "musical chairs" with Magpul accessories and with optics, so I deal a lot with blue-Loctited screws. No worries. Can be done.

I have just finished my Hawken 50 cal and shot 7 shots through it. So nice of a weapon. So nice. Now when i went to clean it i saw the front of the lock came out about 1/16th of an inch. Did i do something wrong? It works well but just noticed it. ANyone know if i can secure it somehow so it does not move. When building it was tight but not to tight. Do i need to just tighten up the lock bolt. Duh!!! ill look at that now!

THank you
Chris
Wood shrinks and shi_ also happens. Make sure your wood base is parellel to the lock plate when fully in place. If it is not, you can get a teeter totter effect. Might have to shim a tad or remove a small bump. If the machine screws are properly threaded all you should need is to snug them up.
I have been shooting since the 70s and never used lock tight.
Good luck,
Larry

Wood shrinks and shi_ also happens. Make sure your wood base is parellel to the lock plate when fully in place. If it is not, you can get a teeter totter effect. Might have to shim a tad or remove a small bump. If the machine screws are properly threaded all you should need is to snug them up.
I have been shooting since the 70s and never used lock tight.
Good luck,
Larry
Thank you

Latest posts

Back