• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lockplate for ID and Comment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. This Lockplate belongs to a friend. It's marked Springfield and the Eagle faces to the rear. Notice the banana shape of the plate. Another told him this may be one of the earliest U.S. Springfield lockplates. Maybe even experimental? Never seen another like it. Any opinions? Thanks, Rick.
066Medium.jpg

065Medium.jpg

067Medium.jpg

Ricky, glad to be of help, others will likely post their thoughts as well. Keep in mind that while I say that is a "pretty standard" plate for the M1795, it is far from common. The M1795 flint muskets are relatively scarce, even in parts, especially the early production guns. Are their any other parts or is it part of a complete (or partial) musket?

Hi. Unfortunately, only this stripped lockplate is left. I would still like to have it in my lock collection due to it's scarcity. Maybe I can talk him in to selling/trading it to me. He found it on a table at a local gun show a few years ago. Thanks, Rick.

Back