• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Long bar sight for a Kibler SMR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After coming to the realization that my eyes aren't getting any younger, I've been thinking about ways to keep shooting my SMR with reasonably good effect. I think a peep sight would be a big improvement, but what is the best way to proceed? I could make one that attaches with the tang screw, but what about a long bar version that goes into the factory dovetail and extends back to the tang? It would indeed be quite long, as the cut is well forward. But should be doable, with a screw for elevation adjustment and drift in the dovetail for windage. So, I am wondering if anybody here has built anything like this and what did you think? Mainly looking for inspiration as to the appearance and ways to make it look like it belongs there.

Muzzleloaders Builder's Supply makes a great peep sight but the barrel has to be drilled and tapped.

1725709919071.png

Do a search for peep sights, lots of info will come up and people who sell them. I have never seen a long bar sight on a gun.

I made my own peep for my .54 deer rifle, after a lot of bending and adjustment it works well. I sold my Kibler SMR because I couldn't see the rear sight, I thought about making a peep for it but the rifle had become a safe queen so I sold it.

I have since had cataract surgery and can now see my sights.

There are peeps made to fit in dovetails. I put Skinner peeps on a couple of my "unmentionables". They might have something to fit the dovetail on your SMR barrel. Aperture height would be another consideration. They're very good about replying to email inquiries, though I don't know how much about muzzleloaders they know, so be ready with dovetail dimensions and aperture centerline height.

https://skinnersights.com/

Given what you described as looking for this is a design by John Schippers that should fit what you are looking for. I keep saying I am going to make one of these but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Attachments

• 20240911_190707.jpg
    20240911_190707.jpg
    928 KB · Views: 0
Back