• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Long Range Enfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResearchPress

45 Cal.
Reaction score
On Saturday the Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB held their annual Asquith Cup match. This is an aggregate competition fired with Enfield rifles, 15 shots and 600 yards and 15 shots at 800 yards. Targets used are the standard NRA(GB) full-bore/high power rifle targets. The 600 yard target is 70"w x 60"h and has a 39" dia aiming mark with a 13" dia bull's-eye. The 800 yard target is 118"w x 70"h and has a 48" dia aiming mark with a 24" dia bull's-eye.

Conditions were difficult with a strong wind flicking from 11 o'clock to 2 o'clock; on top of that you can add in couple of brief rain showers and one of hail!

I won the MLAGB 600 yard Enfield Rifle Championships last year so was quite confident at the outset. The distance was however a struggle and I had 6 misses - only really getting to grips with things by the end with four consecutive good scoring shots. At 800 yards however I faired better, and despite still missing the target four times gained 12 points on my 600yd score! This put me in 3rd place for the aggregate which I was pleased with.

The top three shooters all used original 'two-band' Enfield rifles. Mine is made in 1866, and has a heavy barrel, with 5-groove 1:48" twist rifling. It is a commercial rifle made by Turner, not a Government issue one, but pretty much as the Pattern 1861 Short Rifle.

Bullet was a pure lead 565 grain RCBS Minie with a shallow base cavity. Lube is a mix of beeswax, castor oil and Cookeen (UK version of Crisco) in the ratio of 5 parts/ 4 parts/ 1 part. Load at 600 yards was 75 grains of TPPH (similar to Swiss No.4 / 1.5fg). For 800 yards I increased the charge to 80 grains.

David

Good job David! I'm hoping to get a chance at some long range here this Summer.
:hatsoff:

Mark Lewis said:
Is that off hand?

:grin: Off-hand would be making it a touch too trying I think!

All shooting was prone with just a service two-point sling for support... ie. no cross-sticks, wrist rests, etc.

David

I love matches like that. I used to shoot High Power matches with the service rifle. I learned a lot about shooting well. The 1853 Enfield is a truely great rifle. I've carried one 10,000 miles probably. Here's a picture of me with my 1853 taken at Selma.

Picture050.jpg

DAVID :bow: :applause: you the man! One thing do you shoot 575 or 577 or ? Thanks Fred :hatsoff:

Great pic Mark ! I never thought of those back when, or to many guys around that would say something wish I'd let my 20 something yreas old pride get over run by my about 60 year old smarts (well some times it is! :rotf: ) so great pic, aand great shooting David. Fred :hatsoff:

fw said:
One thing do you shoot 575 or 577 or ?
The bullets are sized to .577 to suit my barrel.

I posted load information in the hope that it may encourage others to 'have a go' with the Enfield at ranges beyond 100 yards. They're great rifles to shoot but outside of the UK seem to be primarily fired at short range.

David

Congrats David....where do you shoot in the UK?

Also, I've seen Mark Lewis in person and he is not nearly as ugly as his photo would suggest :grin:

threepdr said:
where do you shoot in the UK?
I travel a fair bit from my home in South West England. I have a local 200yd range (30mins drive), plus travel to Bisley, Surrey regularly for long range shooting, plus shoot on other ranges in Warwickshire and Derbyshire and occassional events further afield.

David

The bullet I use is cast from an RCBS mould and has a shallow base cavity. I dip the bullets in molten lube, then when dry push them through the sizing die. I don't place lube in the base. The sizing die came with the rifle when I bought it, but it is one made by a friend on his lathe.

David

The bullet I use is cast from an 575213 Lyman mould and has a shallow base cavity.Dixi gun works sell a Sizing Die, GA1103 .58 Caliber. sizing to .575.I think it is a bit small.

David Minshall said:
threepdr said:
where do you shoot in the UK?
I travel a fair bit from my home in South West England. I have a local 200yd range (30mins drive), plus travel to Bisley, Surrey regularly for long range shooting, plus shoot on other ranges in Warwickshire and Derbyshire and occassional events further afield.

David

I can shoot at a 50 yard range on the military installation that I work on, but also have to drive 30 minutes to get to a public range to get a paltry 100 yards.

I'll be in Somerset and Wiltshire this September. I had hoped to get down to Plymouth this time as one of my family lines is from there (the Hawkins family of Plymouth ). Don't think time will allow however.

If you can make opportunity to visit Bisley, Surrey, while in the UK, I am sure you will enjoy it. This is the location of the National Shooting Centre. The ranges have been there since 1890 and there are many old club houses giving the place a totally unique character.

Pictured below is the MLAGB Club House last weekend (6 April).

mla_ehsnow.jpg

David

gundog99 said:
The bullet I use is cast from an 575213 Lyman mould and has a shallow base cavity.Dixi gun works sell a Sizing Die, GA1103 .58 Caliber. sizing to .575.I think it is a bit small.

I don't cast my own minies balls and I size all pre-cast minie balls through the handy DGW GA1103 die before loading them in 50 gr. red nylon cartridge tubes. After sizing to .575", the minies I have used load in my P53 Enfield .577" cal. 3-band rifle musket in two smooth strokes. Most of the time I use Moyers (Lyman 575213-OS) 460 gr. minie balls.

Since I purchase the last 50 minie balls from Moyers Cast Bullets ( http://www.moyerscastbullets.com ), they have increased the waiting time on receiving those minies so I may have to start using DGW BU0901 (Lyman 575213-OS). The only difference I can see between the Lyman 575213-OS (Moyers) and the DGW BU0901 is the depth of the grease grooves. I have not weighed the DGW BU0901 minies yet but they claim they are 460 gr. Moyers minie balls are boxed and are not deformed by being shipped in a plastic bag.

Stay clear of the DGW BA1103, 575 gr. minie balls. They appear to be a poor and inconsistant casting of a Lyman 575213 with a shallow base cavity, at least the bag of 100 I purchased were inconsistant.

Last edited by a moderator:
"DGW GA1103 die before loading them in 50 gr. red nylon cartridge tubes. After sizing to .575", the minies I have used load in my P53 Enfield .577" cal. 3-band rifle musket in two smooth strokes" you'v had etter luck than me mine have just fell to the bottom. :shocked2: Fred :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back