• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

long range muzzle loader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlie45

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have wanted to make a long range muzzle loader out of my .54 renagade, for the last 3 years. Well I have a birethday coming up and this seems to be the time.
My thoughts right now call for a 34" Green Mountain .45 1 : 18 twist barrel and a TOTW breach plug. Also I found on the TOTW site Creedmore tang sights that will supply the necessary sight adjustment.
I hope to utilize my Renagade stock and lock set.
Am I missing something, will it work, any imput would be apprecieated. :hmm:

I enjoy shooting. My 40 cal. rb rifle gets used every week all year long. This is for me a pass time and hobby. Also my club has a 200 yard back stop that I needs to be used. And its just one of thoes things I need to do.
After all it is a muzzle loader! no differnt then my round ball gun. It shoots a heavier projectial to carry the distance.

You may want to consider a hooked butt for long range. Easier to balance that barrel. My renegades have a shotgun buttplate and they can be a chore at the end of the day at 100 yards or more.

I see no reason that wouldn't work just fine. I've re-barreled several T/C's and Lymans for folks who were disappointed with the accuracy of the factory barrels. The only problem I've encountered is hammer to nipple alignment. It seems the TOTW breech plug places the nipple just a bit farther from the side of the barrel, maybe 1/8" and that may require some correction such as a shim behind the top of the lockplate to cant the hammer out just a bit. :grin:

It should work fine and with the 1-18 twist you should be able to shoot up to a 550 gr. bullet accurately. I believe you'll soon find that 200 yards is no challange and you'll be looking for greater distances. Back in '76 or '77 at Creedmore on Long Island the Irish boys were using Rigby muzzleloaders for 1000 yards. Had one of their shooters not put a round on one of our targets they would have beat us too.

You have a lot of fun ahead of you finding the right bullet, lube, paper patched or grooved bullet, powder charge and the like. Next thing you'll be asking about false muzzles and cross patching....

Vic

:grin: Two good points there. Thanks I will try to varify the nipple location. And since my right sholder is getting more touchy about recoil, maybe I could cut a hook and add a thin pad.

Charlie for the hammer problem you can always invest in another hammer and adjust (heat and bend) it to the needed position on the new barrel set up and leave the original for the other barrel. Just a thought that may save some headaches later on,

rabbit03

Were you gonna let on that it was 1876, not 1976 for the Creedmore match? :grin:

hey leathermoose....of course it was 1876 or '77....I was there! For me centuries just seem to run together...hehehe. For a lot of us how long and how many times did we say "the last century"? Now I'm compelled to restate that by saying "before the turn of the 20th century" or "before the turn of the 19th century". Sure gets confusin' sometimes when talkin' to a youngster. Especially when you're doing a reenactment for grade schoolers....they have no concept of "previous centuries".

At any rate, the original poster is gonna have a heck of a lot of fun playing with his ML with a fast twist barrel and conical bullets. I almost envy him the process.

Vic

Back