• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Long range shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same dilemma, my solution is to laugh at my own jokes!
😄
Are balls more sensitive to wind deflection than conicals ? They certainly are to velocity loss.
If you need proof just look at what slugs are winning all the modern rifle long distance contests, no round balls need apply. Granted it's a totally different format but the more efficient the slug is the easier it is to do the same thing over and over again.

If you need proof just look at what slugs are winning all the modern rifle long distance contests, no round balls need apply. Granted it's a totally different format but the more efficient the slug is the easier it is to do the same thing over and over again.
The bullet made roundball target rifles obsolete in the 1840's.

I could see my balls coming down hill on the trajectory patch at 200 yards shooting a bear silhouette one day of competition ! I was quite shocked to repeatedly watch the ball over my .54 cal open sights shooting 110 grains of Goex 2F arching down hill like a meteorite. The flat light conditions were just right and the ball could be clearly seen at each shot.
I've noticed this before on occasion while shooting a .45 cal hand gun as well.
I had a day like that with a .22 rifle.

I could see the bullet from the back, it looked like a black dot rising and falling on its way to the target.

I was shooting at 100 yards so there was plenty of time to see it.

In the Ottoman Empire, long range shooting was a celebrated sport and they erected monuments for exceptional shots. One such monument still exists for a an Ostrich egg being shot at 805 yards!
The Turks had employed rear peep sights since at least the 1600's
327426-wall18.jpg

This is an extreme example of a wall gun, but the sights are clearly seen

Still have to respect the early shooters, they lived every day knowing that a miss meant that they wouldn't be eating. That puts pressure on you that few of us can understand, you don't bring meat home and the family goes hungry, you couldn't just call grubhub for pizza.

Back