• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Long Sufferin' Consumption - Long May I suffer!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horkeye

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I don't know if any one is interested, but this is the story of my illness which commenced in 1994 when I got some darn fool idea in my head that I wanted a Harley. Consumption Stage 1: So I started to investigate, and learnt that I first had to get a learners permit for motor-cycle, then a license, then ride a 250cc bike on the road for 12 months. I did all this and during this 12 month period of drooling over Harleys, I noticed that a lof of Harley paraphenalia carried a distinctive American Indian theme. Consumption Stage 2: an interest in American Indians, so I started buying books & hiring movies. At last I stumbled on LOTM (Consumption Stage 3:) which I watched and watched and watched then eventually purchased on VHS and watched and watched (then eventually purchased on DVD). Eventually on about the 20th time I was watching it, I got to the scene at the fort where Hawkeye (my hero) shot his flinter, and all of a sudden like I thought "I'd like to try that". Consumption Stage 4: So I started to investigate SHOOTING (at that stage of my life the only thing I had shot was a friends air-rifle in my early teens about 25 years earlier). After purchasing magazines etc I eventually learnt that one needed to join an approved shooting club, do a safety course & get a license, get a suitable safe for firearm storage, apply for a permit to purchase etc etc, (which I did). At the time I had no idea that people actually shot ML's (I had a fair idea that people shot shotguns 'cos I remember my dad had one years ago). Then I discovered 2 BP/ML clubs, and a gun dealer that actually sold ML firearms. I purchased more books esp 2 of Shumways and decided that I wanted an American longrifle; this is when Consumption Stage 5: set in. The only readily available ML's were Pedersolis, but which one? Kentucky, Pennsylvania or Frontier???? Frontier won in percussion even though I really wanted FL, the President of a ML club talked me out of it. Ever since then, Consumption Stage 6 (total addiction to ML) has set in; I understand there is no cure!

Anyway, there are many huge gaps in this story, but had I detailed everything, it would have taken up Claudes entire server! :crackup:

:thumbsup:

Lehigh County, propa made longarms!

Yep it sure is a very additive disease and one hell of a good one to die from if dieing has to be an option :thumbsup:

Woody

I do believe we suffered from the same bug, only I took another route. I wanted a Harley also, NO money but still I wanted. One Sunday afternoon I asked my cousin if I could go with him to the range to "WATCH" him shoot his T/C Renegade. The wind shifted for a split second and I got in that dreaded cloud of white smoke. The prognosis was a life of black powder shootin'. Just a few years ago I realized that I wanted to do one thing and do it well, I have a friend that wants to get into everything and he doesn't really do any of them well enough to get enjoyment out of them, That is when the Harley dreams stopped and I focused on the Flintlock longrifles. Now if I can just do it "well" :shocking:
Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it :thumbsup:

Griz sounds a lot like me I feel the same about doing it well. If I can't do it well I'd just as soon not do it!

Yea it's consumption and it's till death do us part. I'm just glad I don't live where I have to go through all that red tape to own and shoot a gun!

God Bless America!
Chuck
TMA Pres :redthumb:

Well I guess I'm backin in from the other direction... I grew up watchin Davy 'n Dan'l 'n Grizz Adams 'n remember watchin ol' J. Johnson with Dad when the movie first appeared on network television. I remember Dad takin me to Bock's Gun Shop up by Brainerd as a youngster. The guns were stacked in there like cordwood, but up above the register was a blunderbuss. Old Man Bock took it down and showed us just exactly how the flinlock worked, and I think I was hooked there. Along the way I took the centerfire trail for awhile, shooting some DCM matches at one point, but always had interest in the mountain man. So once out of the Navy, the hair started growin, the beard started growin, (the belly, too) until now people come up to me and ask me what kind of bike I ride. They all look at me funny when I say Huffy, so I am thinking maybe a Harley, although everyone is ridin a Harley these days. Now a Victory..., or an Indian..., or even an Excelsior... :thumbsup:

I dunno, is 42 too old to start ridin one of them things?

Riley,
42 is not too old to start. I will be 52 in May and will be taking the Riders Safety course later that month! :D

Hey Riley- yer jes a kid at 42 :) I'm 52 and getting ready to order up my very first motorcycle machine thingy. Rider safety and lessons for me and son in April, bike might be ready beginning of May.

Obligatory ML content: The bike I'm looking at has a sidecar w/gun mount. I'm putting noe of the CVA Bobcats on it for grins.

vic

Yep it sure is a very additive disease and one hell of a good one to die from if dieing has to be an option :thumbsup:

Woody,

This is going to sound even crazier than ANY of my previous posts, but when I die, I want to be burried in my longhunters outfit, with a non-working replica longarm at my side and a smile on my face. :)

A couple of years ago I started writing a document, detailing how each projectile is made for each of my BP firearms as well as loading & cleaning details, so that should my wife and/or children decide to take up MLing in my place they can do so as seamlessly as possible.

Lehigh County, the only place where longarms is propa maid.

:blah:

Lehigh,
As the only (I think) undertaker in the forum, it is my duty to inform you that your wish will be granted. :master:

I actually did that once before. The father of a guy I went to school with had died and his wish was to be buried in a homemade deer skin shirt and pants. Had fringes on the sleeves and legs too, and had his homemade deerskin hat with him.

Your friendly neighborhood undertaker to muzzleloaders everywhere ::

Yup my thoughts too, them puppies are real addictive too. But just remember, they live to throw ya on your head just when all the honeys are checking out your hog. I truly think they like the way humans bounce, especially on our heads.Guns and scooters, ok ok, a 4x4 too> :crackup:

Is 42 to old to start riding, like the dude on tv use to say,don't be ridicules cousin.42 is a great age I did it once 13 years ago. Most of me is still here, it all don't work like it use to but it all still works (sometime). :crackup:

I started ridin' MC's when I was 10 (432 moons ago)and started shooting ML's when I was 15. I haven't ridden in several years but I still have my motorcycle endorsement. I was grandfathered back when they started requiring classes. I guess I'll keep it because, well, ya never know. I'm still shooting and I have to say as much as I like riding, I'd rather shoot!

The wife has specific instructions when I go under. Cremate the remains, pour the ashes into the big powder horn, go to the family plot grave site in Cody, Wyoming with a posthole digger and plant me.

I won't see it, but has a beautiful view of (Sacred) Heart Mountain where we once lived. Nuff said. :RO:

Cremate the remains

TANSTAAFL,

A muzzle loader I met a couple of times died a few years ago, he wanted to be cremated, then his ashes shot from a cannon at his favourite range. It was done as he requested.

The range is the home of the North Eastern Muzzle Loaders in Tamminick about 4 hours NE of Melbourne; it is truly one of the finest ranges for rendys in Aus. It only has a 75 yard range, but is set at the foot of a mountain range, and looking away from the range at a huge lake reminds me of LOTM; even the name of the lake, Mokoan, is reminiscent of Mohican!

:thumbsup:

Lehigh County, propa longarms.

My wife has instructions to have me cremated and give the ashes to shotgun reloaders to have me put in shotshells. I didn't pick out anyone specific to reload, but I'm hoping that day is a far piece off yet.

WOW!!!
I agree with huntin fool that I'm glad that I don't have to go through all that hassele just to own a ML. :bull: But we all must be vigullant and not let the antis lull us into a sense of false security like they tried to do here in the Ill country recently. Thank God for freedom of speech! So the next time we start argueing about traditional vs inlines lets stop and come back to this post and read it. Then thank the Lord that you live in America.
Wil
"History preserved, through knowledge shared."

Back