• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Longest Shot Made

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
I once hit a groundhog with a .440 patched round ball at a distance of 180+ yards with open sights using my friends CVA Kentucky long rifle.

It was a calm day, so no need for Kentucky windage to be applied. (It was luck, but I'm leaning towards SKILL)

Now days, thanks to keratitis, I'm couldn't hit a groundhog in the butt with a bass fiddle.
shocked.gif

Tell about your longest shot...

Was that with Flint or percussion?

The longest shot I took was asking out a girl in College who... Well, that's a long story.

Percussion, sorry, I should have stated that.
.440 r/b with a .010 patch over 55 grains of FFFg

I 'member back in 02 down on the Middle Caney in Kansas territory we was a shootin' at some critters that was so far away we had to put salt on our musket balls just to keep the meat from a spoilin' til we got to 'em.

tuffy

I've shot my .50 percussion longrifle at a 1 1/2 foot in diameter steel gong that was hung up 300 yards from my position. I rang the gong, about 2 times out of 5.
I won't take a shot at live game with my iron sighted, traditional muzzleloader beyond about 75 yards.

Back