• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Longest shot you'll take offhand without a rest?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
me too...I think I am a pretty good offhand shot, but on a deer with a flinter it would be 50 yds, maybe a little farther with my old .45 percussion longrifle. Some of you guys must be real good or can't estimate distances :blah: I have made some really good offhand shots with modern cartridge rifles out to pretty good distances with both open sights and scopes. But I don't count on them and with my 61 yr-old eyes the sights are not as clear as they used to be! Once I shot a groundhog through the heart at (paced by two people) 264 yds+/-a yard with a 4X scoped .308 offhand (witnessed). The rifle was sighted in at 100 yds and I held the cross hairs above its head. But, back to MLers: I can hold a good group ofhand at 35-60 yds--the typical distances shot by old timers at their shoots. I do not have alot of experience at offhand 100 yd ML shooting, but try in any event to keep shots under 100 yds when hunting with open sights....

About 300 yards with my smoothbore Trade Gun on a steel Bear target. "I meant to do that......." :grin:

According to the range finder 54 yrds. broadside with my .45 cal Pen. side lock. Last season on a doe. The range was taken after the shot. Had to guess when I made the shot. Hit 1" high.

With a muzzleloader I never have. I've gone out to 40 yards twice with a centerfire, but that was on deer that popped up out of the sage right in front of me.
Two years ago we had one of those opening days where the deer just stood there and looked at you. Three of our party blew easy, standing broad side shots, at less than 100 yards using scoped centerfire rifles because they tried off hand shots. These were all very experienced deer hunters (every one of 'em had 30+ years hunting time behind) and pretty decent shots. But they blew it. Shooting off hand may look like a gimme sometimes but if you can take a rest, take it. If you feel like you need to shoot without a rest its real helpful if you're pinning the deer down with one foot while you shoot it.

Bakeoven Bill said:
If you feel like you need to shoot without a rest its real helpful if you're pinning the deer down with one foot while you shoot it.

I totally disagree. It might move your foot and you could shoot a toe off! Have your partner hold it down with his foot! :rotf:

I read the round ball accuracy forum daily, :bow:

so,

taking their sage advice, using their loading processes, weighing the charges, weighing the balls, compressing and measuring laythe cut patches, using only the lubes they recommend and compressig the charge to the poundage they suggest, then I, like them, should be able to shoot deer killing sized groups, unsupported out to at least 1,000 yards. That's with my smoothbore, I can do better with rifling in the tube.
:rotf:

ghost said:
I read the round ball accuracy forum daily, :bow:

so,

taking their sage advice, using their loading processes, weighing the charges, weighing the balls, compressing and measuring laythe cut patches, using only the lubes they recommend and compressig the charge to the poundage they suggest, then I, like them, should be able to shoot deer killing sized groups, unsupported out to at least 1,000 yards. That's with my smoothbore, I can do better with rifling in the tube.
:rotf:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:...I hear ya !!

(and let me thank you for speaking with me as I admit I am not that good...my best is cloverleafs or a large ragged hole at 50yds sitting in a chair...I just can't shoot 1" groups at 100yds offhand)

Only time an offhand shot is appropriate is if the target is a threat to you ...or such as "On Command". Even hungary people understand that it's ok to let some animals go! Please don't shoot off hand at live targets. It takes along time to grow a Deer or and Elk....I think they call it ethics. Just my thoughts...others mileage may differ. :thumbsup:

Only time an offhand shot is appropriate is if the target is a threat to you ...or such as "On Command".

I've gotten fat and happy on 25 years worth of deer. Many, many were taken while still-hunting on my two flat feet. When a deer appears, or I first spot it anyway, I often have just three seconds to decide whether to commit to the shot. There is no rest I am aware of that can be had in that amount of time without giving yourself away.

Granted, I will not often take a shot at moving game with a muzzleloader (unless thay are unalarmed and just walking). I have taken "grouse shots" at deer within 20 yards that were on a full gallop with my cap-lock. I grouse hunt with the same firearm (interchangable barrels) so I know what it and I can do together. I passed on a running doe this last season that was within 30 yards; but it was in my sights for several seconds. It just never felt right, that time.

If I have the time I much prefer to drop to one knee or rest against a tree, but to "offhandedly" dismiss all offhand shots as bad is to handicap yourself tremendously.

Never take a hunting shot you haven't practiced at a greater distance under similar conditions. That goes for ANY style of shooting. Bench shooting is not hunting practice unless you hunt from a bench.

Well said. The majority of my shots have been with a rest. However, I've been know to still hunt from time to time for a change of pace. That is what happened on my last deer. It spooked, ran and stopped broadside at 54 yards. :v

Like Mathew Quigley said, "I said, I didn't have any use for them hasty standing unsupported well aimed shots at Game. Didn't say, that I can't hunt on my feet and make the shots." Just let me get this rope off my gun hand and get the circulation going... Hope you will appreciate that I just don't have any use for completely unsupported shots on Big Game. And if prompted, I will strenuously exclaim that I would prefer to pass on these shots and strongly encourage others to do the same. Never did say You couldn't make the shot. :shake: But that's my feelings. :thumbsup:

Unless I am sitting down against a tree, all of my shots are off hand. I very very seldom shoot at running deer, and I only take shots I am pretty sure I can make. This year was about 13 steps and around 23 steps with the Mountian rifle. Both dropped in their tracks. The third was off my knee at 120 yards with a conical on a broadside deer standing still. With a roundball I would not have even considered it. It went about 40 yards after the Lee Target Mini went thru both lungs. Staying inside your own limits and the limits of your equipment is just part of the hunt.

"but that's my feelings" was not meant to infer that you or others here can't make the shot. I'm watching "Dancing with the Stars" and Sasa Cohen win the Silver Medal in the Olympics and running up and down stairs. I mean, [what I have written is strictly my opinion]. By the way I picked up the book, 1776 that you have recomended on the topics dealing with the Revolutionary War and I am looking forward to hearing your distinquished comments. :v

I believe the topic was entitled, "Longest shot you'll take offhand without a rest?" Answer is...If I don't get my rest, I'm usually a little cranky...so for best results, I have to have my rest. :rotf:

Well, I got deer at 90 yrds last year with my .50 open sights off hand. This year took a doe at 165 paces offhand with my .54 44" barrel and open sights. about seven inches below POA and clean through the neck dropped about 20 ftfrm where she was hit.

That said, my standard is to shoot out to 75 yards I have not shot and missed a standing deer. I no longer shoot at running deer :rotf:

Runner said:
Staying inside your own limits and the limits of your equipment is just part of the hunt.

Well said. I shoot when I am confident in making the shot. Ball placement (as said before on this great forum) is everything.
That said, I'd rather shoot at 25 yards than 75. I am more confident of a perfect shot at 50 yards than 75 and beyond. When i feel confdent I'll make a good shot, I usually do.
To answer you question, 50 yards or less for me.

The deer in Georiga are about the size of a coyote and thick as fleas on a dogs' back. But as for your performance, I'd say that's pretty good shooting. It's hard to make shoes fit?..[one size fits all!].. unlike shower caps in the motel...one size don't fit all. Everybody has a gift and perhaps this "offhand shooting" is yours! Have a great hunt and congradulations on your continued success.

If it's a doe I would say 100 to 125 yards, If it's a big buck with a huge rack it would be about 2 to 3 yards because my heart starts pounding, my eyes start to water and my vision starts to blur. That darn buck fever gets me every time.
Bob

Back