• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Longhammock barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowfish

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have heard that these barrels are good shooters just wondering does anyone have one of there octagon to round rifled barrels and how do you like it? Or there straight barrel also have done some reading on colerain and have seen about 50/50 reviews of "like and do not like" have heard nothing but good about getz barrels and same for rice and green mountain but have not read alot about the longhammock. Would a octagon to round barrel at 36" be close to the weight of a "c" 38" swamped barrel? Just wondering what your thoughts where on these barrels.

All I can offer you is this...

Longhammock barrels: (352) 748-7373

Sorry I wasn't more help... :boohoo:

Bowfish, all I can say is that the Smith boys are fine fellows. Richard (the father) is a good craftsman and a hog hunting son-of-a gun. I met him back in the mid 80's. He built me a pair of 42 inch 20 guage smooth barrels for my double flint shotgun at a reasonable price when they were basically non-existant on the open market. I have shot and enjoyed it for many years.Some say the outside of the barrels are not finished as smooth as others, but the bore is really nice. I currently have barrels by most of the known makers.....and find there are good and maybe not so good in most all of them. Rice is a new and upcoming barrel maker...Getz has been around a while....I like the current line of Coleraine barrels too. I would say that any of them would be good serviceable barrels IF you keep the harder wheel weight balls out of them and always use a collar on your cleaning rods. I have barrels that have seen constant service for 30+ years and still in fine condition. My belief is that more barrels are worn by cleaning than shooting. Having said this, there are many variables involved, and you will hear many methods of care and products used for cleaning. I have enough different rifles/smoothbores to be able to dedicate a weapon to several different regimens of cleaning. I find no great difference in the condition of the weapons if care is taken to clean and store them after use.

I had one rifle with a 1/2 round 1/2 oct.longhammock barrel in .62 cal. It didn't shoot well but you can't judge quality by one barrel. I have Getz,Colrain, GM and some others that do shoot well though.
Two shadows, what yrs. was Lakin shooting with the guard.
I talked to one of their better shooters yesterday, whose been shooting with them for about 15 yrs. and he couldn't recall anyone of that name.

Back