• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Longhunter Record Book

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grndhntr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got an elk that should make it into the Longhunter Record book.
IMG_0029.jpg

I see that the minimum for American Elk is 255. Mine green-scored at 303 5/8" B&C. I haven't done any research on what I would need to do to apply to get it into the book or what the benifits might be. Do any of you guys know what it takes and why one should or shouldn't register their animal in this book?

I think that probably all depends on if it matters to you that your name is in the book. For some I think it is a financial decision and lends itself to credibility and promotion if hunting is your "business". For me, just the feeling of being next to such a beautiful animal that I just harvested would be enough. Antlers are gorgeous, but don't mean much to me. I'd like to have just enough to make a couple powder measures. :grin:

I don't know; it's a very individual decision, I think. Definitely have it mounted, of course.

Actually, on hindsight and after viewing the photo, you probably should have thrown that one back in and waited for a full grown one :rotf: .

I have killed several animals that will make the ML book. 20 years ago I killed an antelope with my bow. I entered it in the record book. I drove 250 miles to have it scored. I bought all the books. After I did all that I realized that the only person looking at my name would be me. There are thousands of people in the book. After I figured out what that cost I decided to never do it again. It would have been different if it would have changed my life some how but in reality it didn't.

I plan to mount every 30" mule deer I shoot I have two now. I will never mount another elk no matter how big. I just don't have room for the two I have now. I would like to Mount an antelope for my son if he gets one this year. But as for the record book I won't do it again. Ron

Idaho Ron said:
I have killed several animals that will make the ML book. 20 years ago I killed an antelope with my bow. I entered it in the record book. I drove 250 miles to have it scored. I bought all the books. After I did all that I realized that the only person looking at my name would be me. There are thousands of people in the book. After I figured out what that cost I decided to never do it again. It would have been different if it would have changed my life some how but in reality it didn't.

I plan to mount every 30" mule deer I shoot I have two now. I will never mount another elk no matter how big. I just don't have room for the two I have now. I would like to Mount an antelope for my son if he gets one this year. But as for the record book I won't do it again. Ron

This is how I'm leaning. I think that just knowing he is big enough IS enough. Thanks for the reponses, guys.

nchawkeye said:
Yep super jealous here.... :bow:

Congrats!!!! :hatsoff:

What was your load and range when the shot was taken???

NCHawkeye, I started another thread here called "Got Him" that has a bit more info. about the hunt, but I was shooting a .490 patched round ball with 80 gr. Pyrodex at 35 yds.

Very nice bull! Years ago in Traditional Bowhunter magazine someone brought up the point that the record books should leave out the hunters name and just recognize the animal. I tend to agree with that. I took a 300+" bull that I thought about entering in the Longhunter books at the time until I realized it was only for my ego that I wanted it entered. Thats one of the things I dislike about hunting shows on TV. They are all too wrapped up in their egos and promoting themselves rather than respecting the animals they hunt and showing hunting in a positive light.

Very nice elk indeed. :thumbsup:

As to the record book, there is a list of scorers you can get, I think, on the NMLRA website. You have to set up a time with one of them and get the rack officially scored, photographed, and documented. Then you send in the fee. Usta be $25, not sure now.

I have a couple of whitetails that would make the book. Almost entered one of them. Had everything ready to send in and then changed my mind. I just realized there really wasn't any reason at all that I could think of that I needed my name in a book, especially since they wanted to charge me for it. :idunno:
The mounts still look real nice on my wall tho.

I'm not sure on the record book process, I have heard it is expensive as well.....the black bear I shot last year is big enough for the book but I never looked into it, tanned the hide and bleached the skull...it sits on the TV and I get to enjoy it every day....I have a big 6x6 elk mounted that I shot in New Mexico, but can never find anyplace to hang it....they are VERY BIG mounts, the Mrs. love's elk meat, but I have been warned about ever mounting another one :idunno:

I am in your boat. I told my wife I would mount every 30" mule deer I shot. I got a couple in the house. I told her I wanted an elk I got one and my Daughter has one. I had the elk in my garage but now I got the elk at a local store because I have no room. I have several antelope that the wife does not love either.

RONSDEER97.jpg

06buck57.jpg

10000108.jpg

Kasisbullmount.jpg

Back