• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Longrifle building classes ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WGR

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been tinkering with the idea of attending one of the "building classes" at the Holiday Lake 4H center or Conner Prairie. Anyone have any experience at either of these classes ? I have some woodworking experience (cutting, drilling, sanding, shaping... not much with dovetailing or carving tho) and some rudimentary mechanical skills. I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has attended these classes... are they worth the money ? Did the individualized instruction help you in completing your rifle? Thanks in advance for your input.
W.G.

i can reccomend the conner classes as I used to teach there for several years. You;ll pick up alot of valuable knowledge and skills there.

Hah! I was going to recommend the classes at Connor Prairie(North of Indianapolis) BECAUSE Mike Brooks has taught there! :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :v

I have never gotten over there, but the Conner Prairie School has a fine reputation for teaching what you need to know, and helping each student learn from wherever he begins with his prior knowledge, training, and experiences. A lot of hands on instruction, which makes the days go too fast. I met someone who I can't remember right now, who was in one of the early classes, and he could not speak more highly of the school. He had been to other schools before, and he ranked the Connor Prairie experience with the best. :thumbsup:

Troy Roope of Stonwall Creek teaches at the Holiday 4H camp class, also a good choice.

Bill

Thanks for the responses so far... but is there any members of this site that have actually attended any of these classes (not as an instructor) that would be willing to share their input re: the classes ?

Not to drop any names as I don't unless needed but one of the intructors there (John Schippers-engraving) has recommended for anyone to take the classes. Excellent tutors/teachers.
I get to work with Mr. Schippers every week and he is one of the top highest quality intructors I have ever had the pleasure to be taught by.
Mr. Schippers reputation and ethics are impeccable and he is a great person to work with.
He has also informed me the classes are indepth and well worth the money.

My 2p worth. :thumbsup:

Cheers, DonK

I have taken several of the classes at CP.
I have taken the Kit Building class a few times. It's a great class. Most students get all the metal inlet and most if not all the shaping done.
All the instructors I had were first rate. There has always been several original guns there on display for reference. If your tall, get there early and get one of the taller work benches.

Greg..ty for your reply... sounds like a good class to take. :thumbsup:
W.G.

Latest posts

Back