• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Longrifle case

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeboleo1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum or not. Am going to make a wooden rifle case to use to transport bp longrifle to and from range, etc. Wondered if anyone had any design in mind that works for them. Trying to get any ideas before starting it. Appreciate any input. Thanks.

The one I made for my bench gun was out of Cabint plywood Or Baltic breech plywood More layer. Did something like 3/4 for the sides and 3/8 for the top and bootom. THink weight when you make it for they can get heavey. Did Figer joints for the side with top and bottom rabbited in to the sides.Uded form egg for pading. Box was made to store any of the parts that I need for that gun to fit in it.
David

If you're dead set on a wooden case.... just make a box out of 1/4 inch plywood and line it with the egg-crate mattress material.
If you want something that you can carry them up to the shooting line with, I'd go with this case from Cabela's.

i215479sn01.jpg

It's padded, up to 60' in lenght, and even has a place for your range rod.
Double Click Here For The Link

I built this case out of 3/4 inch birch and 1/2 inch birch plywood for the top/bottom.
SCHUTZEN-CASE1.jpg

As David mentioned, think WEIGHT!
The Schuetzen rifle weighs almost 12 pounds and the box I made for it weighs about another 8 pounds.
It's almost too heavy to carry around anywhere.

To make the partitions. I ripped the 3/4 inch stock into 3/8 inch thick pieces and although they worked, they could have been thinner and lighter.
I also lined the case with Velvet (at $24/yard).
I think velveteen at $11/yard would have been just as nice and saved me a bit of money.
Under the Velvet, it is padded using quilting stuffing but I think the old worn out bedpad I used in my pistol case worked just as well.

I made a simple one out of 3/8" plywood. I cut a piece of mattress foam to fit, then cut out the outline of the rifle to fit snug.

I prefer a case made from wool blanket material. If I were going to make one from wood, I would make it as close to the size of the rifle as possible. If you've ever seen an old violin "coffin case," I think a long skinny version of that would work best. Keep the wood as thin as possible to keep the weight down.

Swampman said:
I prefer a case made from wool blanket material. If I were going to make one from wood, I would make it as close to the size of the rifle as possible. If you've ever seen an old violin "coffin case," I think a long skinny version of that would work best. Keep the wood as thin as possible to keep the weight down.
That I'd like to see. Boy, a form-fitted case, nicely done would surly accentuate a fine rifle. :applause:

Thanks to all who replied. Gives me some definite options. Thanks also for the tip ---- I will be SURE and consider weight when building.

Back