• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Longrifle ID???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAN - GA

32 Cal.
Reaction score
picked up this gun yesterday in package deal - thought it was a Dixie long rifle, but couldn't find any marks till I got it home disassembled and wiped down real good as it had been sitting for some time
Barrel is stamped "John Henry" no proofs or any other markings except a four digit serial on bottom flat
38" x 7/8"
50cal
very small diameter ramrod and pinned jag for 32 or 36cal
lock is an L&R
any ideas from you fellas on what I got?
DSCF0710.jpg

2015-07-15%2021.09.53.jpg

more pics here ->

Pics

any ideas from you fellas on what I got?

A nice Southern rifle! A little larger bore than originals, but... Get a ramrod and ends to fit and see how it shoots.

On the "John Henry", no clue. Sorry couldn't help more.
Flint

My first thought was a Dixie also except for the tang on the barrel. They sold kits where you picked what parts you wanted. Maybe someone pieced together their own kit.

I think Moonman "hit the nail on the head"...or it might be that it was a completed Dixie (the digital serial number is suspect) and the owner had it retro fitted with the characteristic long tang after it arrived???

Note the color difference between the tang and the barrel?

LD

Back