• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Longrifle Rebuild

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am contemplating making a new stock for a longrifle I bought online about a year ago. The finish was nice, but the inletting was awful, and I found a slight crack in the wrist, under the lock. There are other problems as well. My question is if I buy a stock with the barrel inletted already, will I be able to do the job with without removing the tang and breech plug?

If the barrel fits the barrel inlet of the stock you should be able to inlet the barrel and tang straigh down into the stock without removing the breech plug.

SC45-70

If it's a straight barrel, it can be done, but wouldn't be my first choice. I would remove the breech plug, and get the lock, and barrel fit correctly, then the plug. I would say that if you have five to ten builds under your belt, it won't be a problem for you. Basically you have a precarve build with re-used parts. I would remove the breach plug and the barrel tenon/lugs, and follow Mike's build guide with Keith Lisle's build order for a pre carve build. That's my two centavos

Bill

Breech plugs aren't (normaly) hard to take out. A vice and a monkey wrench and you're set to go.

I guess that all depends on how talented you are. :idunno:

But I cannot imagine me building a rifle & not removing the breechplug. It is probably the easiest part of the build, I mean it just screws out....... :hmm: & ya just screw it back in after ya get the vent liner done & etc.

I have inletted barrels with the tang on them, but prefer to inlet the barrel first, then add the tang & inlet it.

Keith Lisle

Thank you all. That answers my question. It has to come out. Not sure how old the rifle is, or how much it's been shot. I believe I will stand the barrel on end and give it a dose of PB Blaster. Thanks everyone.

Hey ihuntsnook, I rebuilt an old Italian FIE. The only ticky part to reinstalling the breechplug was filing the breech of the barrel and the end of the plug. Make sure you have a good gas seal on both ends and everything lines up. fit it tight. Good luck.

Back