• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lookin' for the first with a round bal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adirondack46r

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Long time bowhunter (recurve shooter) here, but for a variety of reasons, I am going to fore go the stick and string this year and hunt exclusively with the ML. The biggest reason is simply not enough time to shoot as much as required to keep sharp with the bow. Also, my state - TN - has a very liberal early muzzleloader season that allows me to hunt during the rut. I have also been enjoying the late season in a couple of northern states like NY and this year OH. So long story short, I'm a long time deer hunter but a newbie ML hunter. (I did kill a buck a few years back with a scoped TC Omega at exactly 3 paces, other than that many shotgun and bow kills but no other ML deer.)

I recently purchased a .54 cal. Lyman GPR that I am really enjoying shooting. My question is this. Deer are still deer, and you still have to find 'em and shoot straight, but from your perspective, what are the MOST IMPORTANT skills, techniques or tools required for the hard core traditional ML hunter that aren't as critical for say, a hunter using modern firearms?

Thanks in advance.

Signed, "Lookin' for the first with a round ball".

The only different is the firearm being used. You still need to know your gun and what your capable in doing with it. Your probably limiting your range with open sights as most of us can't see as far as we could with a scope. Shouldn't matter much as my avg shot is about 40 yards anyway. Other than that, you may think your handicapping yourself using a roundball but your really not, they have been killing deer for a very long time. Know your gun, know your capabilitys with it and make sure you put the ball where it needs to go and you'll find that Omega collecting dust.

Getting as close to the game as you do to use a Bow and arrow to hunt the same game. You can hit them further, if you practice, know your gun, its sights, and the load you use, but you eliminate a lot of uncontrollable variables that can misdirect a shot if you get closer to the game.( EX: My brother missed a buck at about 12 yards because his slug hit a small branch he could not see about 3 yards in front of the buck, in the early morning light.)

I always try to pick a shot that lets my ball break a shoulder, either going in, or coming out, and hit the lungs/heart area in the process. Your .54 will completely penetrate a deer shot broadside, so you can try for those slightly quartering shots. Breaking a foreleg usually puts them down within a few yards of where they were standing when you hit them. Good Hunting. :thumbsup:

adirondack46r said:
Long time bowhunter (recurve shooter) here, but for a variety of reasons, I am going to fore go the stick and string this year and hunt exclusively with the ML.

Same boat here. I've hunting exclusively with a longbow for years and messed up my shoulder. So I figured a ML was the next logical progression. now I'm getting all into it. Gonna tackle building one real soon.

If you were taking them with a recurve, you've already got the hunting skills you need. After that it's marksmanship and practice- And you're right. You need lots less than you did with a recurve.

I tell people to adopt a bowhunter frame of mind, rather than try to make the weapon fit a C.F. scenario. Hunt like you're bowhunting but with the knowledge you can take shots a little out of a bow's range. Bill

snowdragon said:
I tell people to adopt a bowhunter frame of mind, rather than try to make the weapon fit a C.F. scenario. Hunt like you're bowhunting but with the knowledge you can take shots a little out of a bow's range. Bill

That's a very good way to put it. I'm going to use it myself from now on. Thanks!

snowdragon said:

Most intelligent way I've ever seen it stated. You have a way with words you silver tongued rascal. :bow: :bow: Vern

Great advice given above! :bow: one other point...get out and shoot the H--- out of your rifle ..learn the good and bad points of it and you will be just fine...The 54 cal. with a .530 rb leaves a big impression on whitetails...Have fun... hunt hard...Dan

need to get you a squirrel rifle, you will get alot more chances to pack a gun in the woods, and i need a hunting partner people around here think i am crazy for packing a flintlock! :youcrazy:

The most important thing for me to bring along that you don't have to worry about so much with a modern gun is a quick reload, (I use paper cartridges) a flint knapper/screw driver tool vent pick, and a way to pull or discharge a load in case your powder gets wet, all that in a easy to carry package that doesn't inhibit you. other than that you need to practice more and know your practical limits. My personal limit is 150 yards with my favorite long rifle if it's rested and 75 yards offhand. after 100 yards a ball drops like a rock so you better be able to judge range accurately. At 150 yards I have to aim at the top of a deer's back to make the ball land where I want it with the way my rifle is sighted, I also pick a load and stick with it, I practice with it and hunt with it, that minimizes guess work. Other than that it's alot like hunting with a 30/30, just more fun and satisfying.

Get to know the gun and what you can do with it.The rest will fall into place.You will make meat in due time :thumbsup:

I hunt with a .54 cva hawken. I got 5 elk with it. with conicals. A .54 round ball ethier .530 or .535 should put a deer down. with in reasonable ranges. say under 100 yards. with a ball. conicals maybe 150 200 yards. but with full throdle loads of 120 grains of powder. and a stedy hand. I like to keep my shot around 50 or closer I know with right shot placement I'll but a deer or elk down one shot.

Back