• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for a .50 RB load minimum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've shot several deer with 60grs 3f out of a .40. Just as dead just as fast as those I've shot with 75grs of 3f in my .58. You've seen what the load does to wood. I do suggest getting her closer. 50yrds would be my max.

I'll confirm what everyone else is saying. I killed my first deer with a .490 ball over 60gr of FFg at 40yds. No problem with penetration at all. I'm using 70gr now, but I won't go over that. The rifle shoot too sweet with it to worry about more power.

Using the numbers you gave gmww, my lil ballistics calculator says that with that muzzle velocity (1481 fps) you will still be getting 1012 fps at 70 yds with 403 ft.lbs. of energy. That is is still a decent thump on a deer IMO. It gives slightly lower numbers for 100 yds then what your book says, only 921 fps and 334 ft.lbs. That is with a 177 grs .490 ball.

I know in NE you need to deliver at least 900 fps at 100 yds to be legal. Don't know what it's like in WA though.

Look at your early cartridges.

The carbine load for the trapdoor was 55 grains under a 405 gr bullet. So, why would 50 grains under a PRB not work?

Back