• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

looking for a flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrbaker90

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I been thinking about getting a flintlock. I have a percussion for years and I been read and watching video on you about historical trekking and the long hunter era and I guess I need to invest in a flintlock and I have no clue what to start. my ky long is a tradition its been a very good gun never had a problem that was not my own fault and pretty accurate so I looked at there ky long flintlock its really hard to find that in my price range. I looked at there frontier rifle with there half stock and I have been wondering how hc is it vs the full stock one. I am sorry if I posted done else about flintlock last year I can't remember if I did or not. thanks

I think your asking, where can a person get started?

Web site for rifles and parts: track of the wolf
Best prices for a made one?
Tip Curtis in cross plains tenn
"Kits"? Tip or tenn valley manufacturing

My .02

Depending on where you live, I would take a trip to Dixon Muzzleloading in Kempton, PA. You won't be disappointed. They will answer any question you might have and they have some beautiful guns for sale.

I recently purchased my first flintlock, a new never fired in the box, Pedersoli Blue Ridge/Frontier. It matches up great with my Hatfield that I have enjoyed since the 1980's. It seems to be a nice dependable and accurate rifle and buying it used didn't break the bank. Some nice deals show up on these classifieds. With that said I plan on stopping by Tip Curtis and checking out his flinters. Greg. :)

I have a Tip Curtis rifle. It is a good way to have a custom rifle and not break the bank. One thing about a Tip Curtis (in the white)rifle. You could literary take it out and shoot it, without doing anything to it. Not so, with some kit rifles. The Tip Curtis rifle can be finished as fancy as you want to, or brown or cold blue the barrel, and stain and finish the stock. However, you will not find a rifle, fitted and inlet any better, regardless of the cost.

I don't know what state your from but on April 12 and 13, 2014 there is a muzzleloader gun show at Old Bedford Village in Bedford Pennsylvania. There will be flintlocks there plus much more.

Old Bedford Village Muzzleloader Gun Show

April 12 and 13, 2014
Saturday: 9:00am to 5:00pm
Sunday: 9:00am to 3:00pm

Old Bedford Village
220 Sawblade Road
Bedford, Pa. 15522
Phone: ( 814 ) 623-1156 or ( 800 ) 238-4347
E-mail: [email protected]

Vendors, Food, and an array of muzzleloader items such as flintlock firearms, shot bags, powder horns, knives, books, and gun making items ( barrels, trigger guards, etc. ) Plus there is a 18th century village there that you can tour.

I'm in west tn about the closes muzzleloaders shop is Dixie gun work with is 2 hour away I been looking on there web site and they're always at a civil war reenactment I go to I will talk to them then anybody knows anything about the tradition frontier rifle I have to say I'm a tradition fan I like my Kentucky a lot and would love to have their flint version. How hard would it be to build one from like track if the wolf and the rifle shopper and Dixie I know it be higher in the end but I could get parts here and there and take my time with it. I been watching some video on you tube and most of them have fowlers and I don't know anything about a fowler what era would be it hc with I'm kind of wanting to go with the long hunter but I'm not sure thanks

All depends on you.....everyone here that builds, started with the 1st one.
Backgrounds for some helped, but some just jumped in.....read a lot, research, take a lot of web pages in......
If you have a place to work, a good vise, and time.....you can do it.

Oh, and it works better if you have a shop kat or dog.....they help :youcrazy:

Gunbroker and armslist can be good places.

On the classifieds there is a lyman great plains flintlock it for $400.

I know someone who built a kit. Let me rephrase that, light sand, maybe clean out one tight spot on the inletting, stain / oil the stock, then bolt the parts up.

I am pretty sure the metal is blued already too.

I looked at armslist and I saw some pretty nice one I'm just not sure which one I wsnt . I am bless to have s nice shop if I could keep it clean lol I don't have time nor money at the time but after I get my gear ready for this civil war reenactment season but after I get it all ready I should have more money and time I have been reading a lot and goin to go back to my library and see what books I can find. I am really leaning to a Jaeger rifle

What era was a Jaeger used I'm thinking of the long hunter era if not what would be hc thanks

If you are in West Tennessee, this is your lucky day. Tip Curtis' shop in about 25 miles north of Nashville.

TIP CURTIS FRONTIER SHOP
Phone: 615-654-4445

Tip should be home by now...I just saw him in
Arizona and he does have good stuff...also Jaegers
Wulf

If you do happen to go over to see Tip Curtis, please give us a report, on some of the things, he has in stock. Pictures, if allowed, would be even better. I wonder if he does half stocks, and Hawkens in particular.

Bought one of Tip Curtis's rifles last year[.32 Lancaster flint].Great gun, well tuned lock and triggers,well fitted.You won't be disappointed.By all means pick it up in person; Tip is a true treasury of muzzleloading knowledge and a great fellow.We stayed there about two to three hours talking and enjoyed every minute.

I live in far western KY, so I bought my first flint rifle from Dixie Gun Works. They have lots to look at. It was a Pedersoli kit - the "Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle Kit" in .50 cal. It's already assembled, but you will have 20-30 hours of sanding, staining, browning/blueing, and finishing. I had never even seen a flintlock in person, so it was a good place to start. The folks at Dixie were always very helpful in answering my many questions on subsequent visits.

Since my primary interest was in building flinters, if I had to do it over I would have probably bought a "kit" from Tip Curtis. At the time, I hadn't heard of him. I have been to his place a couple times as well as see him at Friendship. Depending on how much you want to do yourself, Tip can supply you with what you need without braking the bank.

If you do not have any desire to build additional rifles, then I would suggest buying one completely finished. Unless you already have a complete workshop, you'll save money by not having to buy the tools you'll need.

And trust me, once you get started building rifles and buying tools, there is no end..... Ever..... :surrender:

Back