• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

looking for a hunting partner/mentor (WA or OR)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt85

54 Cal.
Reaction score
ill admit this is a really tough post for me as its kind of embarassing. but, i have never been hunting before and dont really know any one who does.

i have always wanted to learn to hunt but aside from stalking critters in my backyard as a kid (i used to be pretty good), i havent had a chance to do so. i suppose i could find some commercial class but somehow this just doesnt seem right. im no stranger to firearms or firearm safety but i am very new to muzzle loading rifles.

things i need help with:
1. properly sighting in my ML rifle :redface:
2. understanding my local laws
3. finding good areas to hunt
4. proper clothing and gear
5. general tricks of the trade.

is there any one in Washington state (or maby Oregon) who would be willing to take on an apprentice? i promise to try not to be too much of a pain in the butt. :wink:

thank you
-Matt

Matt, is there any sort of a muzzleloading gun club in your area? If so chances are some of those guys hunt with a muzzleloader and would probably offer a wealth of imformation. What kind of critters do you plan to go after?

Well Matt, if you can't find anyone to take you under his/her wing, don't think twice about going out by yourself and learning what you can. That's pretty much what I did, only many moons ago. Talk to other hunters you meet in the woods, ask questions. Even this last October, I was hunting in Georgia, different deer and way different terrain than I am accustomed to. I had no qualms about telling other hunters that I have never hunted whitetails and was a fish out of water in the Georgia woods. One guy gave me a lot of advice and hints, he was only too happy. A good way to make friends.

But, you really need to pay attention when you're green. Just go slow and keep track of your location and the way back to your vehicle. Be prepared for emergencies. Good luck and good hunting. Bill

I'm not trying to deflect you from your proposal (It's a good one!), rather add to your possibilities. In addition to hooking up with someone, I'd also take a hunter safety class. There's a whole lot in them about wildlife and hunting that will help you orient.

There's a website called IFISH that is a PNW hunting/ fishing site. Check the hunting and "open seats" section. There's more than likely someone on there in your area that can get you started.

Why are the best answers so obvious? (duh) Hunter's safety is an excellent place to start. Good one BrownBear. :thumbsup: Bill

Here a site to go to,,,,muzzleloadingmagazine, Its Bill Scurlock's site,When you get there go to the HOME PAGE, upper left side there is a list about events etc also "find a club in your area",just select the State and there you are gives addresses,names,web sites select one and read up ;8>).Or The Hawken Shop up at Oak Harbor has a web site..Your on the trail.
I looked it up check these out ,,there are clubs in Kent/Poulsboro/Camano Island/and Bothell there all on the site I referanced go there and follow up.Good hunting,See you up the tail.

No reason to be embarrassed we all had someone show us, Unless WA and OR has changed you still have to have hunter saftey card to get you license I'd start there. What part of WA you lookin to hunt I have some family that may be able to help you out

thanks for the info all.

i dont have an area in mind, but id prefer somewhere a bit out of the way so i dont have to deal with tons of other hunters.

i will check into the local clubs.

Back