• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

looking for a knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want a quality blade I would suggest you make a Google search for "Bill Bagwell Bowie knives"
He forges his knifes and they are tops.
He has done more research and written a bunch on the Bowie fighting knifes. I don't know if he still writes for the Solder of Fortune or not, but if you want a fine blade this would be it.
I would like to have one but at the cost or more of a fancy Shiloh rifle or a good custom flint, I cant offord one.

This is my Bagwell Bowie that Bill gave me when we went on a Longbow bear hunt together in Ontario in 1983. It was his Riverboat Bowie model. My name is etched on the top of the blade.

00small43767903.JPG

Here's Bill and I practicing with our longbows over 30 years ago. Those bows were over 80#
http://www.tradgang.com/videos/ronlaclair/ronl-bb-2.wmv

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill is an interesting feller and good friend. I don't think either one of us can draw that string on the eighty pounder any more so we use the Sharps now. :wink:

An interesting feller is an understatement, Bill is a diamond in the rough. I haven't talked to him in quite a spell but I imagine he's mellowed with age like the rest of us old coots. :haha:

Next time you talk to him tell him Ron still has "Ole Thirsty"

I will. I will call him in the morning to see if he has everything loaded on the raft he don't want covered with water from all the sprinkles they been getting down there.

Just talked to Bill and told him you said Hi.
He said keep your thumb on the dull side of the blade so you don't quench it's thirst again :)

That Damascus blade holds a scary sharp edge :shocked2: over the years it has tasted my blood more than once. :wink:

That knife looks to be in good shape to be over 30 years old. It looks like you have taken good care of it. I'm glad it has a good home.

Hey Bill, I'm passable for an old coon.
I still remember the day in bear camp you gave me the knife that I named "Ole Thirsty" because I didn't have what you called a "Bar knife" :grin:
If I recall, in your catalog at the time it was your "Riverboat Bowie" Model with a 9" damascus blade and a Sambar stag handle, 14"OA

It gets showed off from time to time and folks say because it's a genuine Bagwell that it's worth a lot of money. I tell em then I guess I won't die broke will I. It's good to hear from you old friend. :hatsoff:

Ron, I always admired your incredible skill with a longbow. We did share some shining times, and I wanted you to have one of my knives. I know now that it really does have a good home.

I had to give up archery, but I am shooting my rifles better than I ever have in my life. My 58 Hawken that I have been shooting since 1884 still lays them down with authority, and I shoot every chance I get, which, to be candid, is a lot.

I hope we can make our paths cross again.

Back