• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for my first Muzzle loader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drh1175

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am looking for my first muzzle loader. Not sure of which brands to look at? I am thinking percussion to start? Also should I be looking at real black powder or can I shoot Goex substitute? Thanks

Be daring and get an Underhammer from Deer Creek. Simple kit and reliable ignition with all the powders.

First I have some questions that may help the members point you in the right direction. Do you want a replica of a gun that was actually carried in the past> If so what era?

What do you want the gun for hunting? Target shooting? Both? If hunting what do you plan to hunt?

Now some answers (maybe). Assuming (yeah, I know) that you are looking for a sidelock percussion. Substitute powders in their loose granular form will work, but not as well as blackpowder. The vast majority of sidelocks do not shoot well or reliably with any form of pelletized BP substitute; there are exceptions but I can only think of two.

Most people agree thast production percussion guns are reliable, there is a lot more contraversy regarding production flinters. If you can be a little more specific about what you want, I am sure you'll get a ton of good advice.

Read, read , read

Find out everything you can about diffent style firearms.

If you are going to shoot at rondies, or walk a lot while hunting, id think of weight.

With paper and metal targets you can go with a lighter caliper and rifle. For deer and bigger you have to know what the state requirements are.

I choose a 45 cal for several reasons. One it will hit a make noise when I shoot metal targets. It is the smallest caliber my state allows for hunting.

Ive always used real black powder. Ive seen the pros and cons of the substutes. I'll stick with what I know.

DRH,
I have to agree with Johnny T about the
reading. The MLF is a good place to start, visit
yor library and get some books on the subject so
you can make an informed decision.
Another suggestion i mite offer is visit a
blackpowder gun club. These clubs as a rule are
very friendly and willing to assist a newbie
anyway they can. IMO
Good Luck!
snake-eyes :v

You dind't provide a whole lot of informaiotn about what you were looking for so maybe I can anticipate some points. In-lines - Being that you are new here you may not realize that you will not find any informationon on in-line style "muzzleloaders" here. In-lines are little more than single shot modern weapons that you just happen to load down the barrel - I would say most here don't consider these things true muzzleloaders. You can't build one, no mystery to shooting one, no history - they are just no fun - too easy. The posts suggesting reading, going to MZ clubs and asking questions - good points. Were I to suggest a first time gun, I am of the school of starting simple then working your way up. In traditional muzzleloading simple is a percussion cap rifle. Lyman corp. sells some nice p-cap rifles, designed for hunting usually for less than $550.00. Cabelas sells a couple decent guns, their Hawken by Investarms runs less than $400.00 and by most accounts is a reliable weapon. (mind you, these are not period correct exact copies I am suggesting here). For more cheap informaiton and ideas - get a Dixie Gun Works catalog ($5.00). It is the size of a large city phone book, full of products, books, ideas and general information.

I was in the same boat as you earlier this year, then I found this forum and with a lot of reading on the internet and a lot of GREAT help from the good people on this forum, I finally decided on a Lymans Great Plains .54 cal sidelock and I've not regretted it since. Mid South Shooters Supply had a great price on them when I got mine back in September, you might look there if you are interested in that gun. If you have a shop around you where you can actually shoulder the different guns do that, I was all gung ho on gettting an inline, until my local gun shop had a Great Plains on the shelf, once I shouldered that gun, my mind was changed!! Good Luck....

:thumbsup:

IMHO, just get yourself a T/C Hawken in .50 caliber percussion, and go shooting. You can buy more authentic rifles, but you can't buy better. They are good sound sturdy rifles with good sights,a lifetime warranty, shoot as well or better than most of us can, and the .50 with balls or bullets will drop any game in north America.

The T/C is as good an all around rifle as you can buy.

Agree with all the posting so far. Less than 6 months shooting BP, that how I found this forum, great infor and great bunch of people willing to help. I was never one for waiting around, so I read enough to ensure I wouldn’t blow myself up and than bought a CVA bobcat at Wal-Mart for $54.00. This was my started gun, to see if I really liked BP shooting. After a month of shooting I went out and bought another more Expensive BP rifle. Don’t know your background, but I had over 20 years shooting various types of weapons so I was comfortable jumping in a bit fast.

I own T/C rifles 1:48 twist for shooting either RB or conicals.... and a Lyman Great Plains Rifle with 1:60 twist for shooting patched round balls and I bought extra barrel called the Hunter barrel...that has 1:32 twist for shooting conicals or bullets.
I love the T/C rifles, can't beat them and the Lyman GPR is a very nice rifle too. Very nice to shoot and I like the looks of the oiled stock too on the Lyman. Either one in my opinion are nice rifles. T/C has the best warranty (lifetime) in the business.
I only use Goex Black powder and you have mail order it from[url] www.powderinc.com[/url] and have it delivered to your doorstep. 5 lb minimum though at $10.50 per lb...
Good luck,
Jim in Idaho

Last edited by a moderator:
The classic Thompson Center muzzleloaders make a great gun to start with, and one you will want to keep, after getting into muzzleloading. A T/C Hawken, Renegade, White Mountain Carbine, are good places to start. T/C has a lifetime warranty, and if you have any questions, you can call thier customer service, and they will fix you right up. Also if you buy a T/C used, they will send you a copy of thier book, " Shooting T/C Black Powder Muzzleloading Firearms". It gives instructions, and loading info. You won't go wrong!

I got started in BP with re-enactment constraints, so some choices were initially made for me. Lately I decided to get more of a hunting gun, and researched it broadly. It took awhile, but now I'm happy.

I looked to commercially available items only. You really need to know what you want before laying down big money for a custom build - done that. Then I sorted through what I really wanted/thought I needed/knew I liked to get some parameters. I needed something shorter than a typical long gun, probably wanted percussion ( though I love my flintlock ), wanted to have a barrel that would shoot PRB well, and I like to keep some modicum of historical accuracy. After sorting through a lot of material, I found pretty much what I determined to have - the Lyman GPR. Other than some internal components, external blueing ( rather than browning ) and a sorta ugly safety notice stamped on the barrel, it's a pretty fair Hawken replica. Purists can pull that apart and that's their priveledge. Most alternatives I reviewed were more expensive, had barrels that were a tad short & "twisty" for my preference, and/or lacked the historical characteristics I was looking for. For as little as $345, the GPR is an awesome piece of hardware.

That was my approach, your mileage may vary ....considerably. Bon Chance !

Being not a rack grade rifle person.
Im not gonna say get this rifle, or that rifle.

Find Dixie Gun Works on the web, and order one of thier catalog.

NOT for the guns in it, but for all the good info on types of guns and how they work.

Me, ill never own a production made black powder firearm. My home made on is that much better ( and yes cost a wee bit more too).

BTW I have owned 2 production rifles and sevreal pistols.

I agree yer first should be the cheapest caplock you can buy. Then you can save up and make yer first flinter :-D

I can't add much advise to all this that you're receiving...well, except...you are in for a long ride. You're going to start out with one rifle, the next thing you know, you'll be building your own long rifle and wearing period correct clothing in a reenacting group. Have a nice day!

Preacher :hatsoff:

The best advice I can give you is to do what I did, look at all of the rifles made by the major manufacturers, Traditions, Lyman, Thompson Center and what used to be available from CVA. Know what different models are available and then hit the pawn shops, and don't buy the first one you see. Write down what is available at each one you go in, then go back and buy the one you decide you want. I went out with a friend one Saturday morning and the sixth pawn shop we went in I saw a like new T/C Hawken percussion in 50 cal. that I bought for $100.00 out the door.

As far as Black Powder, get Real Blackpowder if you can, FFFg. I started with Pyrodex P. Last weekend I switched to Goex FFFg and will never go back to any substitute. It really is, that much better.

I have been shooting for about two years. One of these days, maybe I will be able to afford one of those new Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawkens.

Good luck,

Robert

Been at this since 71 or a year before(I can remember the girl that went out with me to shoot my first CVA kit rifle is why I know the year)and its been one long ride,great ride, the pawn shops are a great idea, the T/C is great, as is the Lyman GPR,as is Ivestarms, I think Id start out with the Invetarms made Lyman Trade rifle, cheaper than Cabelas at 250 new, and pawn shop maybe a 100 or bit more. I would start out on a non black powder,keep the cleaning and rust down(stay away from Pyrodex till you get more into it) next can go black powder I plink with Triple 7,target shoot , hunt (if I still did) with Goex and Swiss. Thats how Id start out again. (Pyr rust very easy,Trip7 cleans easy and you dont have to clean after a few shots, and nothing like real black powder( really to be fair some guns are going to shoot better with 1 kind over another/ how good do you want it shoot? how good are you? Same with the Trade rifle modern insides not much to go wrong with when your starting out. thats my 2 cents :yakyak: Good shooting however with whatever you use, all these post are good ones. Fred :thumbsup:

If you are not sure what you want and just want to shoot a good rifle cheap go to a local gun shop that sells used guns.

I see great deals all the time I bought an unfired T/C Express (special order Renegade) for $150. I found a T/C Hawken for $125 a week later but spent my monthly quota already.

Any good shop will let you put a patch down the bore or do it for you.

You asked for it and you got lots of responses. Sometimes information overload can get confusing. This forum has a wealth of knowledge on the various brands and anything else you can think of with muzzleloading. We have a great team here to help out all. So I'll try to keep my comment short

If it were me, I would try to find access to shoot as many brands/types of muzzleloaders as possible just to see how they fit and perform to your personal specifications and likes. Read up on the subject as much as possible(including this forum). Then decide what your use will be with the rifle and the quality you desire. After that, check your wallet to see how much you want to spend.

I just thought the above information may assist or help you in your decision for the rifle that is right for you.

Cat9

get what you like, whatever appeals to you. after all, your the one thats going to shoot it. i would suggest a t/c product just because of the warranty and quality. good rifles to learn with. just my opinion.

Back