• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for opinions & knowledge šŸ˜

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamRM

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hello all, long time lurker šŸ˜œ finally registered.

Iā€™m a long time cap nā€™ ball revolver shooter but I donā€™t have a lot of experience with black powder rifles. I recently purchased a percussion Lyman Great Plains rifle in .54 as I want to give the next black powder deer season a go.

My rifle was used but unfired, it has the Lyman aperture sight already installed. After a bunch of reading Iā€™ve purchased some .530 ball and some .018 lubed ticking. I was wondering if anyone with some experience has any tips, insight or advice to give. I always appreciate hearing from those in the know. Thanks!

Is it percussion? In that case you can use pyrodex or triple seven or such. But I like black.
Try seventy grains by volume of three F or pyrodex p. Or eighty of two F or pyrodex R.
Take your range and shoot a string from a rest,, go up by five grains, and so on till you get your smallest group.
Swab between each shot.
You donā€™t always have to do that but I like to for a few reasons. However when your looking for smallest group you want a clean rifle to test.
Take your cleaning rod and a patch and check the rate of twist in your gun. The GPR comes in a round ball twist and a conical twist.
.530 will probibly be your best size, but buy some .527 or .535 and a little thinner patch for your .535
I like a little smaller ball and thicker patch for me, but itā€™s not always the best load.
Do not wait to clean, clean the day you shoot
You got a ton of fun ahead.

Yep, sheā€™s a percussion 1 in 60ā€ twist, I already have a bunch of Goex 3F, so Iā€™ll follow your advice on working up the loads.

I see you are new ro the forum. Welcome. I know you will enjoy it here. I have a GPR .54 flint I built from a kit and love it . I shoot .530 ball, pillow ticking patch of unknown thickness, lubed with live oil, with 80 grains 2F. Works for me.
Dave

Hi Dave,

Everything Iā€™ve read so far seems to say 70-90 grains 3F is where Iā€™ll find the sweet spot of hunting power and accuracy šŸ‘ Iā€™ve read of a few guys going to 100gr for hunting, but no accuracy info

Not a Lyman but C.V.A. mountain 54 cal. -- 80gr. 3 f, 530 round ball and 15 thousands patch, my home brewed lube of bees wax, crisco, olive oil, very accurate load.

Hello all, long time lurker šŸ˜œ finally registered.

Iā€™m a long time cap nā€™ ball revolver shooter but I donā€™t have a lot of experience with black powder rifles. I recently purchased a percussion Lyman Great Plains rifle in .54 as I want to give the next black powder deer season a go.

My rifle was used but unfired, it has the Lyman aperture sight already installed. After a bunch of reading Iā€™ve purchased some .530 ball and some .018 lubed ticking. I was wondering if anyone with some experience has any tips, insight or advice to give. I always appreciate hearing from those in the know. Thanks!
In my opinion, the Lyman Great Plains Rifle is one of the finest representations of a Mountain Man era firearm.

Load Developement:

With the .54 you can start with something around 50 grains of powder. I usually start load development at 50 yards. On each target write the load, primer used, etc.

Shoot a 3 shot group. Then setup a new target, increase your powder charge by 10 grains and shoot another 3 shot group. Continue in this fashion. At some point your groupings will get noticeably tighter. At some point after this you should have a load where the groupings open up precipitously.

When the grouping opens, that is your end point...go back and look at the targets just previous to the end point. Find the target(s) with the tightest grouping and drop to a load 5 grains lower and then start again using loads that increase in 5 grain intervals. Eventually you will find the magic load for your gun.

Last edited:
My GPR .54 cal flint gun liked 100 grns of ffg or 75-80 grns of fffg, with a .530 roundball & .018 pillow ticking patch.

Try 80-90 grains of 3f; 80-100 grains of 2f. My be bet is your rifle will like the heavier load of 2f best.
I hoping it will shoot 3F good enough, I still have about 10lbs of goex 3F and only a partial container left of 2F. But Iā€™m sure if need be a 3F shooter will come along for sale eventually haha

Back