• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How long does 1’000 caps last for an average shooter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesse_ennis

32 Cal
Reaction score
image.jpg

May last longer with those with arthritis and carpal tunnel as the latter spend much range time crawling around on their knees sorting thru the gravel searching for lost caps. Last time i actually found more caps than what i dropped lost but that was before they got to be a dime plus each. even found a couple wedges, several nipples and flints as well.

I have 1’000 cci #11’s and was wondering if any of you out there could give a ball park estimate of how long these should last me, shooting maybe 2-3 times a month
Shooting 2-3 times a month? 3x12=36 shots a year. 1000/36=27.78, or almost 28 years. That’s using your posted numbers.

Guessing you might want to consider how many shots (percussion cap usage) you take using caps every week, month or whatever. Divide 1000 (number of caps you have) by that number (how many caps you take every whatever) and you will have an estimate. Simple math. Wish you luck.

I shoot 2-3 times a week, probably 30-40 shots per trip. So figure an average of 100 / week. So 1000 would last me about 10 weeks or 2.5 months. I actually used about 5,000 caps, and about 45lbs of powder over the past year, at a cost of about $2,000. Also bought 250lb of lead, which at $2/pound adds another $500.

If you only shoot 2-3 times a month, you can probably divide that $2,500 /yr by four and budget about $650 /yr.

Last edited:
1,000 caps = 950-1000 shots
100 patches= 100 shots
1 lb. powder =100 shots (70 grains)
1 lb. lead= 39 shots (.490" RB)

Back