• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for opportunity

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silex

40 Cal.
Reaction score
(Please feel free to move if this is the wrong place.)

Maybe a strange question but I’ll have to ask anyway”¦

As you are probably aware I have been bitten by the black powder bug ”“ badly.
I had visited Friendship twice this year, back in February (you might have read the Muzzle Blasts article) and in June for the spring shoot. Oh boys you got me in trouble with this muzzle loading thing ”“ addictive is an understatement”¦

My company sends me to the U.S. again for work. I will be staying in Atlanta the week after next and hopefully be able to break away and drive up to Tennessee to visit the Frontier Shop.
Now here comes the thing: reading all those articles about hunting with black powder I was wondering whether you could refer me to somebody. I am looking for a day (maybe overnight) out maybe squirrel hunting or what ever works on the weekend. Checking the internet I couldn’t really find something because the outfitters rather concentrate on big game or bird hunting and with modern guns.

Thanks for your considerations and have a good day,

Silex

Thank you for considering it.

Just to be precise:
I'll be arriving 8/11 in the afternoon and flying out 8/19 later afternoon.

Thanks again

Silex

Silex said:
Thank you for considering it.

Just to be precise:
I'll be arriving 8/11 in the afternoon and flying out 8/19 later afternoon.

Thanks again

Silex

Hi Silex, my father was from Augsburg :hatsoff:

I was just going to add that us Europeans tend to write dates day, month and year.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Brits.

I just checked out squirrel hunting in Georgia and the season starts August 15th so hopefully you will be able to get in some hunting. Good Luck!.

Silex,

The one problem that I see with your request involves the timing. Most states schedule squirrel season a bit later than your visit. Do you get here very often? We might be able to help later in the year.

CS

Britsmoothy,
Thank you for jumping in - I'm trying the convert formats when I am writing something on the forum here. Augsburg is a very nice town - have you been there at least for a visit?
armakiller and CrackStock,
Thank you for your remarks. I get to the U.S. once in a while for work - this year it's the third trip already - which is unusual.
All this reading about squirrel hunting here on the forum and the squirrel recipe in the the black powder notebook got me really fired up.

This is what you do to me .. :grin:

I got IM and will write back and see whether something works out - of course I will report back.

Thank you again for your input and consideration.

Silex

Here may be an even more enjoyable idea for you. Hunting tree rats this time of year is brutal(very very hot and humid).
The CLA show will be going on in Lexington, Kentucky at the time you will be here. Its a straight shot up highway 75 to Lexington from Atlanta. Its a 6 hour drive but>>>. I would be going myself but I am committed to a trip in your direction!
Here is the link, check it out.

http://www.longrifle.ws/

Ed

Silex,
I'm way too far to make it worth your while on this trip but, if you ever find yourself near Peoria, Illinois, I would be very happy to spend some time hunting squirrels with you. Our squirrel season in Illinois runs from August 1 thru the middle of February. Brutal heat to brutal cold. :haha: Anyway, if you ever get to my neck of the woods just send me a PT in advance. :hatsoff:

Hey Silex, we used to visit family every year as a child. My G parents lived near where the two rivers converge. I forget the rivers names. Lovely place, I use go stalk the deer and watch the fish of the bridges as a teenager. An old guy with what looked like a sporterised Mauser98 use to look over the deer and I wanted to talk with him but could not!

Good luck :thumbsup:

Ed C thank you for the advise - it's always one can't put too many acitivties into one weekend. I'll keep it in mind though.

Britsmoothy, I bet those are nice memories. I hear a lot of stories about the good old times from the guys I hunt with. It must have been way better than it is now - even had partridge and pheasant, abundance of hare and rabbits ... but not anymore. All the farming changed so did the hunting. Lot's of bore these days but they are clever. Sometimes too clever for me :grin:

Jethro, thank you for the invitation. I am looking forward to accept that one day.
Maybe I can manage to shoot a target while I am in the U.S. and send it in for the E vs. W thing.

Silex

Silex
I live about a hour drive north of Atlanta... on about 40 acres.. Have a .32 and a smoothbore.. Bet I can find you a squirrel or two. One problem though is that I am going to the CLA show on Thursday, so only real day to do any hunting would be on the 15th.

Thats why we use deet lol.. Did have one tick on my neck though..

Yup - moskitos - not really my friends.

My legs showed a nice polk-a-dot the next day - but hey - what you do for a nice squirrel dinner and of course making new friends.

:grin:

Silex

Back