• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking forward to Gun Season!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Our archery season opened October first here in Indiana. I have made about 30 sits thus far and have seen only a handful of doe and two different bucks. Talk about SLOOOOOOW...

The weather has been hot and we are in a drought (read: loud, crunchy leaf litter in the deer woods!). :surrender:

As much as I love hunting with my recurve, I am anxious for our November 13th gun opener. Maybe a little hunting pressure around here will get some deer moving my way! Be great sitting with my flinter or smoothbore on my lap again. :thumbsup:

Skychief.

I have heard others talk about a slow season so far. I must be in a hot bed. Since I am in Ohio, I would suspect our deer would be on the same timing as far as the rut. Funny, I am not finding rubs, but I am seeing scrapes and allot of deer. Young bucks are chasing the does, the big bucks are just watching and waiting. I have seen this many times since this past Sat. Though our season started in late Sept. I stayed away from my deer hunting till now and just started on Sat. Too many other BP persuits, like doves and squirrels. Don't ask about my dove season. I only got one, the doves were through here in mid August, but not during our season. When you get in to them, it is SO MUCH fun and fun with a group of friends. As a deer hunter, I only care to hunt alone, but the other hunting can be a sport with friends.

Dave, I know what you mean about deer hunting alone.

That frame of mind changes for me and several friends once our deer are killed. It is then that we chase beagle dogs all Winter long with our frontstuffers! Rabbit hunting has to be about perfect for social hunting. :thumbsup:

I wish we had rabbits to hunt. I would love to hunt rabbits with my muzzleloaders. It has to be fun. I know all the bantering that can go on during dove season is half the fun.

Rabbits would be good. I went squirrel hunting today, and i've got a crick in my neck from looking up. Ouch!

All we have here is pine sqirrels and they don't taste so good. Do you have fox or Abert's?

We have them all, but to honest. I'm not much of a squirrel hunter.

I was when I was a kid. My first gun was a .22, and I killed a gazillion squirrels with it.

Maybe not a gazillion, but a lot.

Back