• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

loose GPR sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keving

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a .50 caliber percussion GPR that I bought already built that came with the adjustable rear sight on it. I replaced the adjustable sight to the buckhorn sight. I just finished a .54 caliber GPR flintlock kit and I installed the buckhorn sight. My problem is that the buckhorn sights on both rifles are extremely loose fitting in their dovetails. Is there anything I can do to correct the looseness of these sights besides buying new sights or peening the bottom flats of the dovetails to make dimples for the sights to seat on? Thanks.

I had to sand down the base on both of mine to get them to fit and still had to tap them into place with a brass drift. Is their any way you can pound the base flat without damaging the sight? Can you stick with the original sight?

I think if you have to you may be able to shim it. If you can cut a small piece of .003" or .004" shim stock to slip between the base and the barrel.

you can try takeing a centre punch and lightly punch a couple of small divots in the dove tail slot itself the little bit of metal that is upset by the punch should help hold the sight tighter in the dove tail.I hope that makes sence if not I am sure that someone will be able to explain it better TC

It makes perfect sense to me. In fact I'd say forget what i said earlier and try this once the sight is set where you want it. Unless the sight is extremely undersized this sounds like the most workable solution.

You'll still be able to drift the front sight for windage adjustment.

The only PC super glue I know of is pine wood sap. I had'nt thought of peening the inside angle of the dovetail, I have read that peening the flat makes a gap between the sight and the barrel. Thanks.

Rusty's recommendation is the standard practice among gunsmiths who find the dovetails too lose for the sight. By stippling the surface, you raise certain points to provide a tighter with the sight. It works. Once in place, you can also stake the sight on the top of the barrel where the sight and barrel meet. Two front, two back. :peace:

I would just take a small diameter round punch and stake (two each, evenly spaced fore & aft) the sight in place, can't get more PC, seen it done that way on more than one original.

If you don't want to put dings into your barrel, and the sights are "close" to fitting right, you can use a sharp pointed punch to make dimples on the bottom (underside) of the sights dovetail, and some dimples on the sights angular dovetail surfaces. (go easy here. It's real easy to punch thru these little surfaces).
As others have mentioned these dimples raise the metal around them so they will fit much tighter in the barrels dovetail groove.
::

Hellow Rolo,I have a .50 cal.GPR aswell and had a similiar problem.I solved it by applying a tiny drop of lead to the sight base when I was casting ball then filing it smooth to be somewhat out of view.Never had a problem since and if I ever wish to remove the sight I may.It seems a more P.C.fix inthat it is something a person on his own hook in the wilderness would do to solve a problems such as this being more short of options.You could do the same w/ silver solder.Hope that helps. :m2c:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories...artNum=RS-PA-15

I used the above rear sight on my Great plains rifle. The primitive sight that came with it was not even close, way too small. I would have had to ping the heck out of the barrel to hold it, and that still would have been sketchy. I emailed Lyman, and they nicely sent me another one right away, but it was exactly the same, too small. I appreciate how they jumped to help, but it was still wrong.

The rear sight I linked to above was recommended to me by a guy at Track of the Wolf, and it took some filing length wise, but it fits very nice now and looks good. I blued it, with the blueing stuff that comes in a tube, and cut a slot in it with a hacksaw blade (carefully, hand held). Had to file my front sight down quite a bit, but Im told that is pretty normal with GPR's anyway.

Good Luck, Jeff

Back