• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

loose horn plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinnynj

40 Cal.
Reaction score
the plug for my horn is loose what can i do so that it willnot fall out aney more ?

I would try to set it back in as good as possible and soak the plug in water (and maybe just a 1/2 inch or so of the horn) and let it swell. Next I think I would re-pin the plug, using a good carpenters glue on the pins. This should do the trick. :m2c:

Beeswax arround the base then repin it. makes a good seal or you can cheat and use clear epoxy

how do i repin it it loocks like it was turned on a laith and i dont se aney holes from pins

That's what i thought, but i think everyone else is talking about the base plug. You may want to get a fiddle peg and use it. They are tapered and should provide a snug fit. We just discussed this same problem not long ago, but i don't recall where the thread to it is located.

IF the little bugger is made of wood, you could try soaking (couple of weeks) in raw linseed oil to make it swell up some.
If it's really loose, get a piece of swink tubing at the hardware store, glue the peg where the tubing will go first.
Actually, if it's just slightly loose, a couple of coats of urethane may be all that's needed?
:m2c:

If all else fails whittle a new plug that's what I did!

Chuck :imo:

I say again a hand whittled plug adds to the period correctness of the horn if that's a concern for ya!

:imo: nothing beats a handmade plug all my horns have hand whittled plugs it's really easy to make one for yourself.

Chuck :redthumb:

If it is only a little loose, I rub beeswax on it. If it is more loose (looser?), I glue a little piece of a flat toothpick...if still looser, go for a new plug..hand whittled is good...a violin peg is too...Hank

You could cheat a bit to get by till you can get a new one. By taking your plug,sand the stem plug part(ruff up)then use some fast setting J.B.Epoxy and build it back up some,just as the epoxy starts to set put plug in horn approx 1/4" and pull back out till done setting. Lightly sand to fit(a touch of bees wax will help you fit it snug) Hope this helps ya.

To give a little background on this idea:
A very old method of holding legs into a chair seat was to bore the holes in the seat, turn the leg to a diameter that fit closely in the holes and then saw a kerf (saw cut) down the center of the close fitting area of the leg diameter.
The leg was then inserted into the hole, and a piece of wood, just a little thicker than the saw kerf was wide acting as a wedge, was driven into the kerf. This expanded the leg to produce a very tight fit.

Taking this idea, you could use a very thin saw blade like a hacksaw and saw about a 1/2 inch down the center of the plug.
Cut or split out a piece of wood which is slightly thicker than the saw cut for the "wedge". Force it into the cut with some glue and then lightly sand a new taper to fit the horn.

That's about as PC as it gets without making a new plug from scratch.

zonie, good trick...I'll try it next time I have this problem...which will be, probably, the next time I whittle a plug...Thanks..Hank

If your plug fit originally, then a fiddle tuning key will work excellently, but perhaps you did like I did on one of my horms and cut the tip off to short, thus causing the pour spout to open directly into the main cavity with very little channel. Because it flairs out less than a 1/2 inch into the spout, there's not enough channel in my horn to grip a plug, so basically, I'm screwed. I hope that's not your case, as I ain't quite got that one figured out yet ::

Everyone here wants to expand the plug, but what about shrinking the horn? I don't know anything about working with a horn, but couldn't you steam it for a while and then tighten a hose clamp around it?

I lost a plug on a really nice horn a friend gave me. It was pretty ornate and I wanted to duplicate one for a replacement. I chucked up a piece of 3/8" scrap osage wood in my drill turned the drill on, and ran the scrap against my belt sander. I was able to make a tapered fit plug, just the right size and perfectly round. I then rounded off a larger round section for a part to grip and made some wedding bands and string groove by holding a needle file against the rotating round stock. I blacked the plug with a sharpie marker and rubbed it with steel wool to give it an aged look. Looks just like the original.

Back