• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loyalist Arms vs. Veteran Arms flintlock pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never bought anything from Veteran but I can’t praise loyalist enough
Ethan at 11 Bang Bang channel has had real good luck with veteran
You do have to drill your own touch hole
Loyalist drills for you and goes over the gun
I bought 2 or 3 muskets from Veterans, and the touchhole was drilled. That was a few years ago. Veteran Arms also "goes over the gun", and if you contact them, they will detail all that they do. These companies have been in business for a long time, and would not have been had there been any real major problems with their products or services. Middlesex Village has a statement on their site with lots of interesting info on their practices and history. I just happen to be a fan of the India-made stuff, even though I only have one now, an older Bess the was once the property of a guy who did the Washington impression at the 'Crossing the Delaware' event every Christmas Eve. Veteran was very helpful the couple times I talked on the phone or mailed them. I would be leery of trying to order a musket from Canada, though. I hear bad things about the shipping/customs stuff.

I bought 2 or 3 muskets from Veterans, and the touchhole was drilled. That was a few years ago. Veteran Arms also "goes over the gun", and if you contact them, they will detail all that they do. These companies have been in business for a long time, and would not have been had there been any real major problems with their products or services. Middlesex Village has a statement on their site with lots of interesting info on their practices and history. I just happen to be a fan of the India-made stuff, even though I only have one now, an older Bess the was once the property of a guy who did the Washington impression at the 'Crossing the Delaware' event every Christmas Eve. Veteran was very helpful the couple times I talked on the phone or mailed them. I would be leery of trying to order a musket from Canada, though. I hear bad things about the shipping/customs stuff.

Last i heard loyalist arms parts out their guns in two shipments, the lock and the rest so they can maneuver Canadian and US around gun shipment laws.

Personally i think thats very risky given the current status of how poor the shipping system has become.

Long Island, Boston, Newark and Houston are notorious for losing packages because of the pawn shops that promote the stolen merchandise economy.

In some cases using an FFL to ship something has its benefits, secure mail is one of them.

Last i heard loyalist arms parts out their guns in two shipments, the lock and the rest so they can maneuver Canadian and US around gun shipment laws.

Personally i think thats very risky given the current status of how poor the shipping system has become.

Long Island, Boston, Newark and Houston are notorious for losing packages because of the pawn shops that promote the stolen merchandise economy.

In some cases using an FFL to ship something has its benefits, secure mail is one of them.
Around where I live, pawn shops are not common, and there would not be anything of interest in them anyway. Must be just in certain parts of the country. Would love to spy a nice muzzleloader in one!

Update: decision made

Today I ordered a Sea Service pistol from Loyalist. Three to four months backlog for the prep-work, but they are available. I've been so very impressed with their customer service so far, that I probably would have bought their gun regardless of price anyway.

Last edited:

Today I ordered a Sea Service pistol from Loyalist. Three to four months backlog for the prep-work, but they are available. I've been so very impressed with their customer service so far, that I probably would have bought their gun regardless of price anyway.

They run a nice shop there, as for the products they sell, i alway advise as much disclosure on whats being shipped to you.

I ordered a 1731 Potsdam pistol from military heritage . It arrived in a timely manner. Touch hole was not drilled. I installed a coned touch hole liner in stainless, I would have done so anyway. The lock had issues with the sear spring and the frizzen spring being too stiff, general tuning brought it up to snuff. Breech area inletting was done with a mini chainsaw so I epoxy bedded the whole thing. Ramrod was brittle matchstick wood so that was switched out for a hickory stick. I added a front sight , not something they forgot, I want to aim shots. All in all I would buy again ( fusil de chasse) and knew going into this that these more or less need improvement by the end user to bring them up to a much higher quality standard, mine is 100% reliable and looks great. $399 as opposed to maybe $800+ plus in parts and a week of skilled craftsmanship on my part for non - India made similar pistol that has no advantage over this.

I ordered a 1731 Potsdam pistol from military heritage . It arrived in a timely manner. Touch hole was not drilled. I installed a coned touch hole liner in stainless, I would have done so anyway. The lock had issues with the sear spring and the frizzen spring being too stiff, general tuning brought it up to snuff. Breech area inletting was done with a mini chainsaw so I epoxy bedded the whole thing. Ramrod was brittle matchstick wood so that was switched out for a hickory stick. I added a front sight , not something they forgot, I want to aim shots. All in all I would buy again ( fusil de chasse) and knew going into this that these more or less need improvement by the end user to bring them up to a much higher quality standard, mine is 100% reliable and looks great. $399 as opposed to maybe $800+ plus in parts and a week of skilled craftsmanship on my part for non - India made similar pistol that has no advantage over this.
Be careful, saying something not bad about these guns can result in attacks.

I purchased a brown bess from middlesex trading 6 years ago, got it 3 years after I purchased it. Wouldn’t spark at all and the barrel wedge was somehow obstructing the ramrod. I tried to return it the owner of the company’s reply anything but accommodating, he was very unprofessional and stopped returning my emails and phone calls about the return.

I eventually was able to find a black powder enthusiast buddy to help me, he got it working, had to replace the hammer spring, and steel striker was useless, he welded on some steel, got it sparking hot, then it failed again, because the sear and trigger was not aligned correct.y.

I sold the gun and took a bath on it, between what i had spent on it, and shipping and fees to sell it, i ended up losing money. I would not not advise anyone buy from middlesex.

I ended up buying from Veteran Arms, great service and the musket worked, i was able to focus on the things i wanted to, such as Refinishing the stock and metal.

Interesting! I bought 2 or three muskets from Veteran, and they were fine. The guy was helpful and responsive. (P.S.; I never fired either one, and do expect most guys will have to "tweak" a musket to get it to be reliable.) Check out their Bess Bayonets! My only knowledge about Middlesex is reading their company statement. Thanks for you input. Three years is not cool!

VA also goes through whatever they sell before you get it, not sure about the other outfit/source.

I have 3 from them ... all 'oddball designs' that no one makes as a complete build of (hand mortar, blunderbuss & matchlock), less unbuilt kits costing $1,000s from The Rifle Shoppe (if ever in stock ... ).

Zero complaints with any of them and on the 2 flintllock locks, both were completely serviceable 'as is', although I myself further tuned the locks to my liking.

Both these have Ed Rayl manfg. blls. Hand mortar has TRS lock parts set and furniture. Blunderbuss has Loyalist Arms 1728 french Musket Lock. All assembly done by Mike Keller of WA. Note! he builds what he wants to for himself and sells as needed.

Attachments

• 2FBA7568-797F-4AE8-BD6B-3C2CF1F3A5FF.jpeg
    2FBA7568-797F-4AE8-BD6B-3C2CF1F3A5FF.jpeg
    558.4 KB · Views: 0
As I've said before, I bought I think 3 arms from Veteran Arms years ago, and his service was fine. Even hand-wrote me a letter about Udaipour info. I'd use 'em again. Any of these businesses offering India arms must have insurance, have been selling for many years, need to maintain a reputation...Military Heritage offers a heck of a bunch of interesting things in the Sword category...people love this stuff!

What about Military Heritage?
I have the 1731 Potsdam Prussian cavalry pistol from them. It would not have worked without tuning the lock , specifically the frizzen spring. I am very picky about my things like that and pretty much went through the whole thing getting it right for me. I knew it was going to be a project before I purchased it. Would I buy from them again? Certainly.

Further update:

Six months now since check cleared and still waiting. Last email exchange with Loyalist a month ago put me at #11 in the fulfillment queue with a month or so to wait. Haven't given up yet, but not holding breath.

Will update further when and if received.

Back