• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loyalist Arms wheellock pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt85

54 Cal.
Reaction score
ive been looking at the wheellock pistols offered here:
http://loyalistarms.freeservers.com/Wheellock.htm

can you guys tell me any thing about these? what kinda quallity should i expect?

i dont know a whole lot about the wheellock other then its basic functions and that it uses pyrite instead of flint. what kinda problems should i be aware of? any special maintenance?

thanks all
-Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt85,

I bought one of these a few years ago when they first became available. The folks at Loyalist Arms are good people and easy to deal with. While pricy, the wheel lock pistol is a very complicated mechanism. The guns sold by Loyalist Arms are made in India by hand. They are not particularly high quality, but neither do they cost several thousand dollars either. Over all, my example is pretty well made with very good fit and finish. I am reasonably satisfied with the one I have. There is a rather steep learning curve in getting these guns to fire reliably. Pyrite is not exactly sure sparking and it has to be positioned exactly right to ignite the priming charge.

I am a Training Counselor for the NRA and put on Instructor workshops for muzzle loading rifle, pistol, and shotgun instructor candidates. Part of these classes is learning about the various historical ignition methods. The wheel lock pistol is fired as a demonstration. Mostly, I can get it to fire on two of three attempts with a new pyrite. The matcholck is MUCH more reliable but with its own set of problems and safety issues. I shoot .600 caliber round ball with a .015" lubed patch with 50 grains of Goex FFg black powder and FFFFg in the flash pan. There are no sights, so accuracy is a moot point much beyond 20 feet. Course participants are impressed but also learn why flintlocks quickly replaced wheel locks and matchlocks.

As a historical demonstration the Loyalist wheel lock is pretty nifty, but I wouldn't consider it for home defense. I have experimented with various sparking materials like the camping fire starters, but have not found anything that worked better than Pyrites. Unfortunately, Pyrite is difficult to find and even harder to fit the dog-jaws and wheel/pan opening. The ones I have were cut with a diamond saw by a friend who is into lapidary. Flint or chert is much harder and will damage the wheel quickly so cannot be substituted.

I have been interested in wheellocks for quite some time. I have a lock on order with Raszpla. While the locks can be finicky, a high quality properly made lock is quite reliable. The chain(connects the wheel to the mainspring) is one of the weak points of a wheelock and the hardness and design of the wheel is another factor affecting ignition. Just my opinion, probably not worth much, but I think that you will become frustrated trying to get one of these Indian made locks to work reliably. Great to see that you are interested in wheellocks, they are fascinating mechanisms. Good luck.

Hi Matt. Here is one I own. The lock quality on this one was actually a little better than I expected. Think Loyalist Arms did some additional work on it. The most dissapointing thing - as with all Indian made guns - is too much wood on the stock. I plan on having mine slimmed down as much as possible and re-stained a darker, better finish. Or, having it completly re-stocked in European walnut. Or, using the lock by itself and having a long gun made out of it. :haha:
The gaps around the lock inletting are obvious. Still thinking about which way to go with it as mentioned above. :hmm:
Overall, the quality of the gun was not more or less than I expected from an Indian made gun.
Anyway, here's some photos for you. Rick

DSC00067Medium.jpg

DSC00068Medium.jpg

DSC00072Medium.jpg

DSC00070Medium.jpg

DSC00071Medium.jpg

any one else make a wheellock pistol thats better quallity? i cant afford to spend a huge amount of money, my limit would be around $900.

That pistol looks pretty darn cool as it, IMHO. :bow: Of course, I'm not a real stickler for perfect historical accuracy and I don't do any sort of reenacting. I'm happy enough if a gun gives me the basic flavor of what an historic piece may have been like. I also like the idea of making guns with various firing mechanisms that don't represent anything historical, but that could theoretically have existed, had anyone thought of it "back in the day." So I guess I'm far easier to please than many. :haha:

I would also be interested in some pyrite. I recently finished a wheellock (rifle shoppe rough castings lock) and have been looking for a source.

I bought one of these turds. Biggest mistake I've made while ever buying from our neighbors to the North. It broke the chain after exactly 4 shots, this is right after, I had taken another member from this board, as a guest to your local range, we were walking to the firing line, and the bearing that holds the wheel slipped off, and the guy, almost shot himself in the foot! Next time I loaded it, the chain broke.
This item, as I don't consider this anything more than a Wall Hanger, $675, by the time, I paid for the gun, shipping, and exchange rate. I have not been able to get any spare parts for this, and I refuse, to go thru the problems, of shipping it back to Canada.
If I had the choice to do this over again, I'd spend the extra money, and order a better made gun, by an American smith, and plan on paying over a grand, for a decently made Wheelock pistol.
To buy one of these, is to throw $700 away.

ive already given up on the idea of a wheellock. the history and design is really neat but i dont need another finicky gun.

im having a custom flintlock built by a fellow forum member instead. alot more money involved but i think it was better spent.

Living history dudes!

I have a brace of beautiful wheelocks. They are custom from a guy in The Czech. The first I bought was quite many years ago and the second, bought recently, is serialized just a few before it.

Never had a problem with my first gun tho I have shot it very sparingly. The second was probably in as good a conditon as it is, like new, becasue a) they are expensive b) they are unique to shoot c) it was broken.

The action would not lock wound. And I couldn't get the lock out without doing damage I felt. The expert who repaired it had a difficult enough time removing it himself, pointed out it was oddly helped held in by the barrel tang screw (which I already knew and thought was kinda ingenious actually), and said that the rest was oddly designed and full of sheet steel, but he fixed it -- for a three-figure fee.

"Rube Goldberg" and "your wheelock action" in the same sentence doesn't make it any better, either. LOL

Latest posts

Back