• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

LR ML Build Recommendations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've got the LR ML competition (Creedmoor) bug and not having the $$ for new I decided to build one. I have a nice piece of Walnut and have a barrel maker in mind that can build a period correct piece...at this point the only kit-ish rifle I could find is a Rigby Sporting so I'm developing a sketch for it but was wondering if there are other in-class options that I'm not aware of. Any recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

So I've got the LR ML competition (Creedmoor) bug and not having the $$ for new I decided to build one. I have a nice piece of Walnut and have a barrel maker in mind that can build a period correct piece...at this point the only kit-ish rifle I could find is a Rigby Sporting so I'm developing a sketch for it but was wondering if there are other in-class options that I'm not aware of. Any recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom
@fleener

Have you heard of Rod England? He has a Alex Henry kit that is top notch. Not many choices, but you cant go wrong with Rod's

Rice makes a great barrel out of the quality of steel that you need.

In fact, you might want to contract Rice and see if Jason will sell you a LRML that he just purchased in June, it is a .40 cal, but he could make you a .45 barrel for it.

I am going to be out of pocket for a couple of week with not much service, so if I dont respond that is why.

Fleener

Thanks,
Tom
I have a Pedersoli Gibbs I have been thinking of selling. Two custom moulds [PP and GG] to go with it. Paul

A Pedersoli Gibbs would be a great place to start. Very competitive rifles. You can always sell it once you get your custom rifle up and running.

Fleener

Have you heard of Rod England? He has a Alex Henry kit that is top notch. Not many choices, but you cant go wrong with Rod's

Rice makes a great barrel out of the quality of steel that you need.

In fact, you might want to contract Rice and see if Jason will sell you a LRML that he just purchased in June, it is a .40 cal, but he could make you a .45 barrel for it.

I am going to be out of pocket for a couple of week with not much service, so if I dont respond that is why.

Fleener
Hello Art...might you have contact info for Rod England...I found an email address but its bouncing......nevermind...OBE

Last edited:
AndyJ, what are the specs for a LR ML barrel?
Good question....one that I am not the least bit qualified to answer with any authority and I would think there are those in the forum who could offer authoritative info...but here is my best guess...
It depends on what one it trying to accomplish...a period accurate rifle may have a barrel different than one without that requirement.

But, in general I think the following attributes may be a good starting point:

a. 34" - 37"+ in length
b. 1:16 - 1:20 twist rate
c. 4 - 7 wide grooves and narrow lands with a depth of .003 -.004 (found this in a post from 2019 about building an Alexander Henry Target Rifle)
This assumes a caliber of 0.451...I suspect it could be somewhat scaled/used for other sizes.
I would be quite interested in what others might add/change.

Thanks
Tom

How would a Gibbs compare to a volunteer?
The ‘Volunteer’ is a generic copy of military target rifle of the early 1860s. It has a full stock with straight grip. As in the 19thC, different makers today have used different rifling patterns, but generally 1 in 20 to 1 in 22 pitch. They come with a barrel mounted military style rearsight. To get the most from them, adding a tang mounted aperture sight is recommended. Good (match winning) performance can be had from them out to 600 yards - beyond that match rifles (such as the Gibbs) will generally out-perform them.

The Pedersoli ‘Gibbs’ is styled after the long range match rifles that started to appear in the mid-1860s. It has a half stock and pistol grip, and comes complete with aperture sights. Such rifles in the 19thC were restricted to a weight limit of 10lb, and the configuration enabled more weight to be put into the barrel. The .45 Gibbs has a 1 in 18 twist (beware of newer versions with a slower twist for short range target shooting). As supplied these rifles can get you out to 1200 yards (furthest I have fired). This rifle will be widely seen on the firing point of competitions, although it’s the only ‘production’ rifle of the type - competition coming from custom built rifles or originals.

See - LRML: Rifles & Equipment on my Research Press web site for further information.

David

The ‘Volunteer’ is a generic copy of military target rifle of the early 1860s. It has a full stock with straight grip. As in the 19thC, different makers today have used different rifling patterns, but generally 1 in 20 to 1 in 22 pitch. They come with a barrel mounted military style rearsight. To get the most from them, adding a tang mounted aperture sight is recommended. Good (match winning) performance can be had from them out to 600 yards - beyond that match rifles (such as the Gibbs) will generally out-perform them.

The Pedersoli ‘Gibbs’ is styled after the long range match rifles that started to appear in the mid-1860s. It has a half stock and pistol grip, and comes complete with aperture sights. Such rifles in the 19thC were restricted to a weight limit of 10lb, and the configuration enabled more weight to be put into the barrel. The .45 Gibbs has a 1 in 18 twist (beware of newer versions with a slower twist for short range target shooting). As supplied these rifles can get you out to 1200 yards (furthest I have fired). This rifle will be widely seen on the firing point of competitions, although it’s the only ‘production’ rifle of the type - competition coming from custom built rifles or originals.

See - LRML: Rifles & Equipment on my Research Press web site for further information.

David
Thanks, David, very helpful

Back