• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubing conicals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In 1960, shooting Minie' balls with my 1861 Springfield, we would lube them with a mix of, I think, beeswax and lard, ensuring that the rings were full.
Now that I have several firearms capable of firing conicals, do I lube them about the same?
Thanks for responses.
CC

I shoot lee real conicals, I've tried a few lubes. Track's DGL, mink oil, homebrew beeswax/castor, beeswax and olive, crisco. They all work, the DGL did get me about 6 shots before swabbing was needed. The others were good for about 3 or 4. I made up about 50 last week that I powder coated. I'm hoping I can just use a greased wad and avoid the the mess from smearing it on the conicals, but I haven't had time to try shooting them yet

Though not well respected in the unmentionable world because of the smoke Alox would most likely work on MZ bullets and the smoke wouldn't be an issue and it's easy to use.
Thanks - as I generally cast my own bullets and balls, I generally have plenty of Alox handy. Will probably stay with the beeswax/lard combo. Plenty of sheep and bear lard available.

I powder coated. I'm hoping I can just use a greased wad and avoid the the mess from smearing it on the conicals,
I powder coated som maxi balls and sized he bases 501 and shot without lube or wads. I wipe after each shot so was not concerned with keeping the fouling soft. Not enough shooting to make any accuracy statements but they seemed to be shooting pretty well.

Back